Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

IOTM: Tomato Tarte Tatin, First Try

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

IOTM: Tomato Tarte Tatin, First Try

by Jenise » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:04 pm

I searched the internet for tomato tarte tatin recipes and was surprised at how many came up. And no two were alike. Oh, they basically all included some form of dessication as a first step, but after that all manner of things could occur. In some the tomatoes were sliced and the picture showed something not unlike a pizza, and in some the tomatoes were halved so that the inverted pie had all these bright red mounds looking like little moguls a mouse could ski on. Some included herbs, some included cheese, and some didn't have but butter, salt and sugar.

A fan of dehydration, I decided to go with the slice approach and where I thought an hour or so at 250 would be good I forgot the dang things and they baked for almost three hours. OOPS. All was not lost for they were still fine--just chewier, but the result is that what had been six medium sized tomatoes filled my tiny 5" iron skillet and created a tarte that was almost too rich and concentrated, something I who love intense flavors don't say easily. Thank god I hadn't salted them. Too, I rolled my crust a little too thin so the tomato-crust ratio was too heavily toward the tomato.

But the flavors were excellent. For seasoning, I used salted butter in which I sauteed a minced large clove of garlic before layering in the tomato slices. As well, parmesan cheese got rolled between the two squares of puff pastry, and I served the tarte slices with rounds of fresh chevre and a pistou of fresh basil and olive oil.

Yummy, but not quite right in proportion and a little too extreme in flavor. However, my husband won't have to worry about lycopene for weeks.
Last edited by Jenise on Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Here's a tomato tart from the old FLDG

by Howard » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 pm

This was really fun to make and always delicious. It dried the tomatoes by salting them and then pressing with paper towel. It also calls for sprinkling the bottom with parmesan and pre-baking to seal the crust and keep it for getting soggy.

Topic: RC: Tomato Tart (repost)
Author: howard roth
Date: 20030527123924

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You\'re going to have to trust me. This is really simple but sounds complicated. It\'s also delicious and really pretty to look at besides. Comes from the latest cook\'s illustrated.

1 1.1 lb box frozen puff pastry (Pepperidge farm)
1 large egg beaten
2 oz. finely grated parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)
1 lb roma tomatoes about 3-4 medium. cored and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
salt
2 medium garlic cloves pressed
2 tablespoons evoo
ground black pepper
8 oz low moisture whole milk mozzarella, shredded,
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

pre heat oven to 425. dust work area with flour and unfold pieces puff pastry onto work surface. Brush egg along one short edge of one sheet of pastry. Overlap the other one by about 1 inch and press together. smooth out margin with rolling pin. You should now have a rectangle about 18 by 9 inches. cut a strip from a long edge about 1 inch. cut another one. Cut a strip from a short edge, about an inch thick. Cut another one. Now line up a strip on top of the bottom edge of the rectangle (you\'re doubling the thickness of the edges to create an edge crust.) Do the same with the top and sides. Trim the long edges so they line up. Now you should have a piece of dough with the edges built up. ( there are pictures in the magazine that make this a whole lot clearer). brush the whole thing with the egg. Transfer to parchment covered baking pan. Sprinkle parmesan evenly over shell and poke holes in the shell thoroghly and uniformly. Bake 13-15 minutes, then reduce oven temp to 350 and bake another 13-15 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to wire rack and increase temp of oven to 450,

While shell bakes, place tomato slices in single layer on double layer paper towels and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let stand 30 minutes. Place second double layer paper towels on top of tomatoes and press firmly to dry tomates. Combine garlic, olive oil, and pinch each salt and pepper in small bowl; set aside.

Sprinkle mozzarella evely over warm (or cool, if made ahead) baked shell. Shingle tomato slices widthwise on top of cheese. (about 4 slices per row); brush tomatoes with garlic oil. Bake until shell is deep golden brown and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes. Sprinkle with basil leaves, slide onto cutting board or serving platter, cut into pieces, and serve.

Nice warm weather light supper paired with 2000 Ca del Solo Sangiovese (Bonny Doone). (Contented sigh goes here :) )

Howard
Howard