Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sometimes it's lucky to go to a meeting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Sometimes it's lucky to go to a meeting

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:30 pm

I went to a meeting today that was catered (the main reason I went because it so sounded so good). What made it lucky was the offer for me to take the leftovers home.

I scored on several cold chicken breasts, cold asparagus, an interesting potato salad, muffins, and some wonderfully ripe fruit: honeydew, papaya, pineapple, strawberries and grapes.

The only thing I cooked tonight for my favorite wife was some butternut squash soup (yum). Then I wowed her with the leftovers and some sauvignon blanc. Easy. And I still have some for tomorrow. Do I know how to woo a lady or not?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Sometimes it's lucky to go to a meeting

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:10 am

I wish we did as well at our meetings. If there's food at all, it usually involves some sort of forlorn sweet baked stuff from the local supermarket - maybe faux blueberry muffins or some such. To go with that, we have Folger's coffee made in a giant percolator. There is very little out there in the world that tastes worse than Folger's coffee made in a giant percolator. It's the perfect accompaniment for crappy supermarket baked goods.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:18 am

[quoteThere is very little out there in the world that tastes worse than Folger's coffee made in a giant percolator. It's the perfect accompaniment for crappy supermarket baked goods.

Mike[/quote]

It'll put hair on your chest.

And it's better than the store brand decaf instant coffee that my mother had for me on my vacation in PA back in June (she doesn't drink coffee and proudly announces she has never even tasted it. I've told her I'm going to pour some down her throat when she's on her deathbed). I have a wide tolerance for coffee and beer, but that coffee tasted like varnish. (Maybe it would make a good woodstain.)

Our writing group uses one of those giant percolators for our twice-monthly programs where we bring in speakers for audiences of about 100. However, we use Costco's columbian coffee for the masses. And, oh yeah, crappy supermarket baked goods (some of which are day-old). Some people actually prefer the taste of percolated coffee with its continuous extraction of acids from the coffee beans, but I prefer the drip variety (water goes through only once).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:04 pm

I recently found out that, much like your mother, the person here in charge of making coffee for meetings doesn't drink it. :(

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:25 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:it usually involves ... faux blueberry muffins or some such.

In scanning this post I saw "faxed blueberry muffins" and I knew exactly what you meant.