Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Tastes Like Chicken!!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Tastes Like Chicken!!!!

by Jenise » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:45 am

Carl K wrote:While beef is still my meat of preference, we eaat so much chicken here I sometimes wonder why I haven't grown feathers yet :lol: . One thing I have noticed though is that people seem to have gotten stuck in a rut where chicken is concerned. At a church sponcered supper club function last year I made a version of Chicken Cacciatore and was very surprised at how many people told me that they could never make something like that because it was "too difficult". Suggestions for "easy versions" of some dishes (not a 30 Minute Meals or Semi-Homemade but rather a "this gets excellent results and is much easier than you'd think" type thing) might help things along for some of these people.
'

Carl, I can't believe how many 'grownups' I run into who have never cut a whole chicken thenmselves. There's not much one can do to help someone who isn't curious enough to venture out of the Hamburger Helper stage by themselves.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:37 am

For the history/breeds side of things, I highly recommend the following website:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

I too used to keep chickens, and I tend to rather obsessively research things before jumping in (or after I've jumped in, as is more often the case). I love that website- I think that no matter how many (seemingly hundreds of) times I visited, I learned more each visit.
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:44 am

Jenise wrote:[ There's not much one can do to help someone who isn't curious enough to venture out of the Hamburger Helper stage by themselves.

Unfortuneately all too true Jenise. Yet the thing that really amazed me was that at least some of the people in this group were very good cooks in their own right; but the thought of trying something as "difficult" as Chicken Cacciatore frightened them. These are the type of people my suggestion was ment to reach. Besides, let;s be honest here. Those that won't fenture out of the "Hamburger helper stage" wouldn't be buying Chef's book anyway, but those who fit in the group I just mentioned might if they thought the recipes were something they could do.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Skye Astara wrote:For the history/breeds side of things, I highly recommend the following website:

http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html

I too used to keep chickens, and I tend to rather obsessively research things before jumping in (or after I've jumped in, as is more often the case). I love that website- I think that no matter how many (seemingly hundreds of) times I visited, I learned more each visit.

Am I ever mad at you! I thought, what the hell, I'll go check this site out. I ended up spending over an hour there. :)
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:31 pm

ChefCarey wrote:
Am I ever mad at you! I thought, what the hell, I'll go check this site out. I ended up spending over an hour there. :)

Only an hour? You have more willpower than do I. Did you see the breed that's a cross between a turken and a silkie? I don't remember what it's called- powderpuff cheerleader freaks or something...
For the scientist, as for the poet, there are as many levels of wonder in the silent beat of a butterfly wing as in the howl of a wolf.
-Douglas H. Chadwick.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:00 pm

Skye Astara wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:

Only an hour? You have more willpower than do I. Did you see the breed that's a cross between a turken and a silkie? I don't remember what it's called- powderpuff cheerleader freaks or something...

No, I didn't see that -there's *plenty* there folks! I ended up roaming around the chicken house-building areas. I wanted to see how mine stacked up for one thing. Even after all these years looks like I did an okay job. (Only an hour because I had to go teach.)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Chef, don't forget the old FLDG collection of chicken recipes. There is a remarkable collection there -- over 150 -- with a number of variations.

Go to http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/search.php?fn=2

and search on rc chicken in the subject box.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Chef, don't forget the old FLDG collection of chicken recipes. There is a remarkable collection there -- over 150 -- with a number of variations.

Go to http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/search.php?fn=2

and search on rc chicken in the subject box.

Regards, Bob

Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I'll check it out.
Previous