Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Yummy Crab Canneloni

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

RCP: Yummy Crab Canneloni

by Alan Uchrinscko » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Just finished cooking and loving Giada De Laurentiis' Crab and Ricotta Canneloni, and can't say enough about how simple and delicious it was.

It is on the heavy side and I had 2 manicotti while mother could only finish one. A nice glass of white should lighten it up, a Roero Arneis would probably fit the bill as would Meursault or a medium flavored Cali Chard with good underlying structure.

Try it, you'll love it. I did it exactly as the recipe shows except for after 15 minutes I jacked the oven up to broil becasue in my case it wsn't really browning on tp. After three minutes, it was perfect and I served it.

Now if only I could get her to cook it for me...

(Most of you know me, but just in case, no affiliation and all that jazz, just thought it was a great recipe you all might enjoy.)

Copied from above link:
1 box (8 ounces) cannelloni or manicotti pasta (about 12 shells)
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 pound lump crabmeat
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Bechamel Sauce, recipe follows

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta.
In a large bowl, mix together ricotta, 3/4 cup Parmesan, egg yolk, basil, crab, salt, and pepper.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Fill the cannelloni with the crab mixture and place in a buttered baking dish. Top the filled cannelloni with the Bechamel Sauce and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake until bubbly and the top is golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Bechamel Sauce:
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk, warmed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, smooth, and creamy, about 10 minutes (do not allow the sauce to boil). Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. (The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cool and then cover and refrigerate.)

Yield: about 4 cups
Alan Uchrinscko