Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Brats and brittle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Brats and brittle

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:07 pm

I was shanghaied into grilling at a friend's gathering today. Grilled some bratwurst and toasted the buns. Of course, a number of the buns came apart at the hinge side. Anyone know tricks to prevent this?

But the unusual taste for me was the peanut brittle. I was offered a piece and wondered why it looked greenish. Turns out it was made with--what else--green chile. It was as tasty as normal brittle, but ended with a pleasant warmth. Green chile is truly one of the foods of the gods.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Brats and brittle

by Barb Freda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:45 am

Larry,

Instead of slicing the buns open, poke a hole down the center. Use the end of a wooden spoon or the blade of a sharpening steel. Add grilled onions and peppers first, then add the brat...

We started doing this after my son ate a hot dog on the streets of Paris and came home with the story of the street vendo poking a hole in the skinny baguette and sliding the dog in...No reason not to do the same with Italian rolls and a sausage...

b
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:02 am

Interesting, but do you think it would work with brats that swell up to about an inch and a half?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:10 pm

A couple of years ago, some friends gave me some peanut brittle laced with one of those intense hot sauces. It was incredibly fiery, but the combination of the heat and the sweet was addictive. I got several really good sweats out of that stuff!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:12 am

Heat and sweet is addictive. My all-time favorite salsa is found at Los Cuates restaurants and Dos Amigos (the staff of which is originally from Los Cuates).

How to describe it? It's thick, viscous and deep brick red with--honey?-- for sweetness. And hot. You can't stop eating it because as long as you're eating it, you can kinda keep the heat at bay. But when you stop, whooee!
I'd pay a lot for the recipe.

Some people say you should eat ice cream after eating the stuff. Then the next morning you can yell, "Come on, ice cream."
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:50 am

I'm thinking if the brat fits on a roll open, it will fit this way...Not saying the roll isn't big, but there you go...Maybe easier to slice the brats lenghthwise to do it if you like (I like doing that anyway because I like the crispy surface the interior of the brat gets...maybe that is sacrilege to brat lovers?)

b