Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cool nights and hot chocolate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Cool nights and hot chocolate

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:33 pm

After suffering through a hot summer (but luckily it rained frequently, more than in 112 years), the temperature in Albuquerque took a sudden nose dive last night. Cool enough now that I broke out some hot chocolate this evening.

I grew up drinking Nestle's Quik, but as an adult discovered Mexican hot chocolate. My favorite two brands are Ibarra and Abuelita, with Ibarra getting a slight edge. And yours?

I tossed in a pinch of powdered red chile, which goes so well with chocolate (remember the movie, Chocolat?).
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Cool nights and hot chocolate

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:27 am

Larry
I do like the shaved chocolate style of hot chocolate (Charbonnel et Walker do the classic one here). It's a right pain to get melted, but it's a very "grown-up" drink. The other alternative I go for is the intensely rich ones in Italy (off to Piemonte soon hopefully to re-taste). Some interesting flavours as well if that's you thing.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:29 am

I don't think I've ever had the chance to try Mexican hot chocolate, nor anything else other than Nestle or Swiss Miss brands. Can you tell me a little about them?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:56 am

The Mexican chocolate I'm talking about comes in bright yellow, hexagonal boxes. The chocolate tablets inside are a mixture of chocolate, sugar and cinnamon. You break off 1/4 tablet for each cup of milk and slowly heat your milk until the chocolate melts. You stir it until everything is dissolved and then enjoy it.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding it. I found some in a grocery store in a small town in Pennsylvania while I was visiting last June. Here's what they look like:

Ibarra: http://chocoibarra.com.mx/
Abuelita: http://www.mexgrocer.com/2550.html
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:41 am

Larry,

I was all hyped to post about Abuelita when you wrote and you beat to the punch right away--We discovered it here in FL and my daughter loves it (it's still to hot for ME to drink HC, but she likes it at bedtime...)
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:58 pm

Considering the number of stores that are adding Hispanic/Latino products around here, I'm surprised I haven't seen it yet. I'll definately have to look for this the next time I go to the store.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:03 am

I'd look in the Nestle Quik area and/or the International/Hispanic foods. I've even seen Abuelita in Big Lots, one of those discount stores.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:24 am

Probably the Hispanic/Latino section, I know it's not in the regular Nestle Quick section since we can't get through the market without a stop in that aisle thanks to my two kids.