Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Headline today's paper: 5 million obese! What country?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

Re: Headline today's paper: 5 million obese! What country?

by Carl K » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:22 am

Lately the papers here in South Carolina have been making a big deal about the problem of obesiety among school age children, and high lighting a new SC law that requires more Phys Ed and Nutrition classes starting in 1st grade and continuing all the way up. The thing that bugged me the most, and makes me support this law, is that so many schools have been piling on so many classes that some children were not getting any P.E. and many schools were actually starting to phase out recess in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Why? Because the "Soccer Parents" set were demanding that their precious children be prepared for college before even the start of high school, and neither P.E. nor Recess did anything to help prepare them. Never mind that the lack of any physical activity is leaving the poor children with an excess of energy (which is then diagnosed as ADD or ADHD) and bodies that more closely resemble the Pillsberry Doughboy than healthy kids. As for Nutrition, well, it's so much easier to pick up a burger and fries with 200 fat grams from Micky Dees on the way home from work than to try even a Rachael Ray style 30 Minute Meal; so when would the kids have had any chance to learn about healthy eating at home?
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Carl K wrote:Lately the papers here in South Carolina have been making a big deal about the problem of obesiety among school age children, and high lighting a new SC law that requires more Phys Ed and Nutrition classes starting in 1st grade and continuing all the way up. The thing that bugged me the most, and makes me support this law, is that so many schools have been piling on so many classes that some children were not getting any P.E. and many schools were actually starting to phase out recess in the 2nd or 3rd grade. Why? Because the "Soccer Parents" set were demanding that their precious children be prepared for college before even the start of high school, and neither P.E. nor Recess did anything to help prepare them. Never mind that the lack of any physical activity is leaving the poor children with an excess of energy (which is then diagnosed as ADD or ADHD) and bodies that more closely resemble the Pillsberry Doughboy than healthy kids. As for Nutrition, well, it's so much easier to pick up a burger and fries with 200 fat grams from Micky Dees on the way home from work than to try even a Rachael Ray style 30 Minute Meal; so when would the kids have had any chance to learn about healthy eating at home?

You got to let the heathens get out and run. Recess, lunch time and after school are important exercise times. Hell, when I was a kid we *couldn't* gain weight!
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:27 pm

Also, in my era a city of say 100,000 or so *might* have *one* MacDonalds. Many didn't.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:17 pm

ChefCarey wrote:You got to let the heathens get out and run. Recess, lunch time and after school are important exercise times. Hell, when I was a kid we *couldn't* gain weight!

Yep. We spent a couple of hours or more each afternoon/early evening playing "tag" or "hide and seek".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:19 pm

I was so skinny, I tried to gain weight by eating milkshakes and other calorie-laden foods. Oh for those days again.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:16 am

Paul Winalski wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:You got to let the heathens get out and run. Recess, lunch time and after school are important exercise times. Hell, when I was a kid we *couldn't* gain weight!

Yep. We spent a couple of hours or more each afternoon/early evening playing "tag" or "hide and seek".

-Paul W.

The same here. Now? My 7 y.o. daughter, who is in the 2nd grade has at least 45 minutes of homework each night, and some nights an hour's worth. Me, I don't remember ever having homework until I was in the 4th or 5th grade at the earliest. I don't even want to think about what Jannie will have by the time she gets that far along.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:45 am

Randy R wrote:I blame all this on the Internet! We were better off without it!

It's not the Internet, dammit! It's fluoridated water! That, and the Trilateral Commission ...
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:57 am

It's not the Mickey Dees, it's the pizzarias. It doesn't matter what country I'm in, the pizzarias outnumber burger joints by 5:1 minimum.

At the moment, I'm in Torino, and given the number of superb pizzarias and focacciarias here, I will be quite obese by the time my plane takes off. The Death Words for me are "forno a legna."
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:48 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:It's not the Mickey Dees, it's the pizzarias. It doesn't matter what country I'm in, the pizzarias outnumber burger joints by 5:1 minimum.

At the moment, I'm in Torino, and given the number of superb pizzarias and focacciarias here, I will be quite obese by the time my plane takes off. The Death Words for me are "forno a legna."

Just as long as you don't cross that line where they make you buy two tickets.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:09 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Yep. We spent a couple of hours or more each afternoon/early evening playing "tag" or "hide and seek".
-Paul W.

A game we enjoyed as kids was called "kick the can." in this game someone was "it" and a regular size veggie can was placed in a circle about 20' in diameter. "it" closed his eyes and the rest went and hid. As you were caught you were out of the game, unless one of the hiders could sneak in and kick the can out of the circle before "it" called the sneakers name. if he was successful, all those caught could scatter and re hide! "Didn't have no ABC, CBS, nor NBC!"
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:15 pm

Hell, I thought it was GWB!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Geez, don't you people watch the news? It's global warming!(CNN) or
It's the liberals! (Fox) Take your pick. I'm going to play kick-the-can.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.