Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

My publisher...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefCarey

My publisher...

by ChefCarey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:19 am

I probably shouldn't post this here. But, I can't help myself. The reason I shouldn't is because the poor publicist who sent me this has nothing to do with policy.

I've removed her name.

"Hello Joseph,
I looked into the awards you had contacted me about. The IACP Cookbook
Award has a $100 entry fee. I am happy to supply you with the 5 books
necessary, but, unfortunately, award entry fees are not in the budget.
Let me know if you would like me to send you the review copies to submit
with your entry.

Also, the 2007 James Beard Foundation Awards entry forms will be
available in late October."

Now, these people have been cheap in the past, but it just seems to me this is going too far. I find this outrageous. They at least paid for the awards for my first book. They are constantly changing the rules on me.

This is Taylor Trade Publishing, a sub of Rowman & Littlefield.

If anyone agrees with me, here is the managing editor's email address. I can't alienate them any more than I already have apparently. And my agent will never attempt to sell them another book. It has been hell.

RRinehart@Rowman.com
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: My publisher...

by ChefCarey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Hot potato, huh? :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:04 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to send an email, Chef, that would carry any weight. As a book lover and buyer, my loyalty is almost always with the author, as it is in this case.

But I'm not sure that sending the publisher a bitch letter on this kind of an issue would carry any weight at all -- in fact trying to put myself in the publisher's position, I might take it in a very negative way.

I'm shameless about bitching -- but not sure how to do so effectively on this issue.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:47 pm

I do understand. Thanks for responding, Bob. I am just fuming and wanted the publisher to know that people are aware that they treat their authors this way (I'm not the only one by a long shot.) I guess I was just hoping that few emails would wake him up to the fact any kind of award would increase sales. I think it has a shot since the reviews have all been very positive. I will end up having to send it in myself, I am sure.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:54 pm

I'll give it a shot, Chef. I like the tone of your letter, and think I can make it at least neutral, perhaps useful.

I'll post a copy here later tonight.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:03 am

Especially if they've done it before, you'd think they'd enter the books themselves. You think they'd have a program for entering all kinds of books for available awards in their genre--they stand to gain as much as the author does.

And if that's not the case there must be a lot I don't understand about the publishing business....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:56 am

Chef, here's my missive:

Dear Sirs:

I understand that you are the publisher of Chef on Fire by Joseph Carey, an excellent book in my judgment. [I am posting a positive review on Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and a number of cooking discussion websites, and will forward a copy to you in due course.]

I would urge that you enter this book in the various cook book award programs, including the IACP Cookbook Award and the James Beard Foundation Awards. As a publisher you may know of other programs, but these two awards are very important, even if the book is only a finalist.

It seems to me that applying for and paying for such awards should be the publisher's responsibility, and I urge you to do so for Chef Carey's excellent book.

With best regards,

Robert C. Ross
950 Dogwood Trail
Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417
robcurtross@hotmail.com
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:31 am

Thanks, Bob, you're a real prince among men.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:35 am

You are welcome, Chef -- it's a very good book and deserves wide publicity. Let's hope the email does some good -- I'll post any reply here.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:03 pm

Bob Ross wrote:You are welcome, Chef -- it's a very good book and deserves wide publicity. Let's hope the email does some good -- I'll post any reply here.

Thanks again, Bob.

Judging by the number of views on this thread, in a relatively short period, given the title I gave it, I'd say there are a lot of people out there looking for publishers. Much disappointment must have followed when they discovered it was just me pissing and moaning. :)