Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Clinic: Blue Cheese Enchiladas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Clinic: Blue Cheese Enchiladas

by Jenise » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:00 am

Okay, in a tasting note in the wine forum, Jim Jones described "blue cheese enchiladas in a light jalapeno sauce". In Tokyo, no less. They were paired with a gruner veltliner.

This is the kind of food that I would order in a restaurant (with a chef I trust) just to find out how in the heck he/she put that together. I would be ultra excited to find out how so many appealing but disparate elements were brought together, and I would expect to be delighted with the result and have an idea that I would want to work with at home.

I'm thinking that the blue cheese filling would need a mellower, good melting cheese as a foundation, like monterey jack or a creamy young cheddar. I'm not sure whether I'd add onions or not, or even a third element, though I'd absolutely keep it vegetarian. Then there's the sauce: we need something to host the jalapeno. Tomatillo? Cilantro and cream? Something else?

What would you fine cooks do if challenged to create this dish? [/img]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Clinic: Blue Cheese Enchiladas

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:21 am

Jenise wrote:What would you fine cooks do if challenged to create this dish?

Hmm, I don't find it entirely appealing, Jenise, but off the top, I'm thinking that you're on target about needing something to carry the blue cheese ... either a blend with <i>queso bianco</i> for ethnic purity, or maybe something like a bechamel with blue melted in (a blue-cheese Mornay?) for more refinement.

I'm kind of stumped on how I'd handle the jalapeños, but might look up a recipe for chile verde and consider pulling out just the verde part while holding the pork. :)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 am

If you devein and deseed them, of course, they can be considerably mellower. Roasted tomatillo and ground pepitas might be a good base pairing. A young St. Agur or gorgonzola dulce might be a good blending partner with something bland. I'm unfamiliar with Mexican blues.

But honestly, this seems like a contrived dish from a chef who's trying to be much too clever.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Stuart, contrived? Really? I know it's nontraditional, but it just struck me as outside the box and nicely so. Perhaps because I'm a corn tortilla fanatic, I love, at least on paper, the idea of elevating the humble enchilada into fashionable fusion territory.

Ground pepitas in the tomatillo sauce? I like that idea. I immediately thought of the blue cheese in the middle, but Robin, your notion of putting it in the sauce is also interesting and something I hadn't thought of. Cheese enchiladas are by far my preference over meat, so I guess I reflexively WANTED the cheese inside.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Cheese enchiladas have no bigger fan than me. This one just sort of clanked in my taste-mind.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind's taste buds around it as well. But I think it would be worth a try if you could get a good, moderate level of blue cheese flavor. Seems to me that a milder roasted green chili might work better than jalapenos, or maybe with just a little jalapeno. Pepitas or some other nutty item sounds good, too.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:40 am

Mike and Stu--I'm definitely going to play with this. Can't resist. It sort of hits me where a goat cheese and potato ravioli once did--potato in a ravioli? Couldn't have been less intuitive to me, but it was lovely. I can imagine that this could be too, if you glammed it up just right and achieved balance with the sauce.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:23 pm

I would think that most blue cheese would be too strongly flavored to be the only stuffing in an enchilada.

But if you were not totally dtermined to make it a "cheese enchilada"..stuffing the corn tortilla w/ strips of rare grilled fajita or steak along with the blue cheese might be interesting. Topping it off with dried red chile based sauce and a bit of sour cream perhaps?

Richard
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 pm

potato in a ravioli? Couldn't have been less intuitive to me

In a world with pierogi, samosa, dosa, and knishes?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:41 pm

I understand your incredulity, but yeah. At the time I'm referring to encountering the potato ravioli, I had never even seen a pirogi. Nor had I, nor have I still, ever had a potato knish. Samosas and dosas yes, but the texture combination of both is crisp-soft. The soft-fine soft-grainy combination of pasta and potato was completely foreign--and not, at first mention, particularly attractive--to me.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:50 pm

Don't feel bad, at the time we met, my wife had never tasted anything called "pasta." The closest she had come was Spaghetti-Os in a can.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:02 pm

That is so hard to believe. I grew up in whitebread, Republican Whittier, California where the closest thing there to an ethnic neighborhood was Pico Rivera, and that was a whole town! :) So you can forget things like Jewish and Eastern European foods--they weren't part of our world, not even in the homes of friends. But even we had real pasta.

Where did Linda grow up, the North Pole?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:39 pm

Close. Wyoming, then Alaska.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:33 pm

Jenise wrote:Mike and Stu--I'm definitely going to play with this. Can't resist. It sort of hits me where a goat cheese and potato ravioli once did--potato in a ravioli? Couldn't have been less intuitive to me, but it was lovely. I can imagine that this could be too, if you glammed it up just right and achieved balance with the sauce.

If I get a chance this weekend, I might try something along those lines. I've not made enchiladas in about 20 years, so I guess I'm due....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:58 pm

I'm camping this weekend, so it might be interesting to try al fresco.