Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ethiopian food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ethiopian food

by Jenise » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:34 pm

A friend who is a professional chef calls me when he gets an itch to cook just for fun, something he rarely gets to do. So on Friday he called and said something about his wife being out of town and there's a Bill Murray movie that has something to do with Ethiopia and I said we're free and I have teff let's make injeera and dorowat and so it was set.

But here's the thing: for all that I know that one dish very well, I learned it from an Armenian woman who grew up in Ethiopia and I know that most of the side dishes that she more Armenian than Ethiopian and I don't know where the crossovers are.

If anyone's familiar with Ethipian food, I'd love to hear about what kind of side dishes are typical. I'm especially long on celery and carrots this week so any idea that uses those two items would be especially welcome.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov