Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anybody else tired of garlic mashed potatoes?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Anybody else tired of garlic mashed potatoes?

by Doug Surplus » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:44 pm

It's not just the chains, even Gruet Steakhouse in Albuquerque does them. It it just lazy chefs? Trying to ride the trend? Come on chefs, get off your duffs and be creative with the potato!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: Anybody else tired of garlic mashed potatoes?

by Hoke » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:11 pm

Heretic!

As an ancestral Irishman and a wannabe Eye-talian, the combination of potatoes and garlic is sublime.

Yeah, I'll admit everyone seems to be doing them----but then everybody should, from my point of view. Can't have enough.

Actually, my fave potatoes combo is spuds and swiss chard, or kale.

But then, I'll take spuds combined with pretty much anything. Have you had potatoes comboed with gorgonzola yet?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:22 pm

Hoke wrote:Actually, my fave potatoes combo is spuds and swiss chard, or kale.

But then, I'll take spuds combined with pretty much anything. Have you had potatoes comboed with gorgonzola yet?

My dad was Danish and every Christmas he used to make mashed potatoes with kale. It took a lot of time, he said.

I loved it. Wish I could remember what that dish was called!

I've made mashed potatoes with garlic and home made chicken stock for years. Some times I add sour cream. But mostly, I just love mashed potatoes, plain. Especially if they are fresh.

I've tried the potaotes combined with gorgonzola. I use very little cheese as I don't want to over power the spuds.
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:05 pm

I don't know what the Swedish version is, Karen, but potatoes and kale (usually with onions sauteed in butter) is called colcannon in Ireland and the British Isles, and it's lovely stuff.

As far as garlic mashed goes, still love them, but for a different take, I really like mixing some cooked celeraic in with the mashed potatoes.
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:06 pm

Oops, sorry, meant I don't know what the Danish version is called, not Swedish!
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:17 pm

I'm with Hoke. They're a bit common, but they're so damn good....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:39 pm

Sorry Doug, but I hang with the crowd on this one! Garlic (and a great glass of vino, of course) is the answer to just about everything important in life...lol! :cool:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:15 am

I think the thickened kale part of the dish is called grønlangkål in Danish, Karen. You serve the kale, as almost everything in classic Danish cooking, with potatoes in one form or another.

Mercifully, my mother was willing to make some non-Norwegian specialities for the holidays -- this was one of my favorites. I grew kale and covered it with hay for months before Christmas just to be able to convince her to make it.
Last edited by Bob Ross on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:18 am

I still like them, but would prefer some variety now and again. Wasabi mashed potatoes add a nice zing to chicken and pork dishes while white truffle mashed potatoes are, IMHO, the perfect accompaniment to a nice medium-rare piece of beef.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:50 am

Doug Surplus wrote:It's not just the chains, even Gruet Steakhouse in Albuquerque does them. It it just lazy chefs? Trying to ride the trend? Come on chefs, get off your duffs and be creative with the potato!

Doug, I know what you're saying. I'm not "tired" of them exactly, but it's nice to see something different every once in awhile. For instance, a nice brew pub up in Traverse City does them with a coarse ground mustard, and a healthy helping of it, at that; and it's a nice change of pace.

<<hmmm>>
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:24 am

Doug, I'm fine with garlic mashed potatoes, but I'm tired of having them so badly done--gluey textured, or rancid tasting because the garlic came out of a jar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:40 am

Jenise, that's a sore point too, poorly done. My daughter said my home-made mashed were a lot better than the ones at Gruet.

For all you garlic-lovers - I'm not opposed to garlic mashed potatoes - I make them myself, but not all the time. I'd just lie to see some variety offered in restaurants.
Doug

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:08 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:Jenise, that's a sore point too, poorly done. My daughter said my home-made mashed were a lot better than the ones at Gruet.

For all you garlic-lovers - I'm not opposed to garlic mashed potatoes - I make them myself, but not all the time. I'd just lie to see some variety offered in restaurants.

Yeah, I know. That's the same reason I lament occasionally about salmon in restaurants: it's everywhere, it's a standard fallback, and it's usually mediocre.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:22 pm

Oh, Hoke ... you are so right. One of my favorite foods, but I can't even think of a restaurant where it's reliably good.

I find it so easy to make at home ... I wonder why it's generally so mediocre. Maybe Chef can chime in.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33 am

around these parts we call them 'garlic mashers' partner!
david creighton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:19 pm

What did you think of Gruet Steakhouse, Doug (besides the garlic mashed)? My friends and I keep meaning to go there, but never quite make it.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 pm

I will agree with you. I used to love Garlic Mashed Potatoes, but I've gotten so tired of having them every time I turn around that I'm almost ready to turn down even the good ones! Ther's so many other ways to do mashed potatoes, why not offer some variety? Gargonzola is great, so is sour cream and bacon bits. Ever try cream cheese? It adds a subtle smoothness that compliments spicy saurkraut dishes beautifully. Combining them with Celiac or mashed turnips can add wonderful new deminsions, I even know one person who swears by the addition of rutabaga.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What did you think of Gruet Steakhouse, Doug (besides the garlic mashed)? My friends and I keep meaning to go there, but never quite make it.

Our visit was a mixed bag. Our server was not very good, but I did observe others who were. My daughter's filet was rather ordinary (we've had better at Black Angus) and was the dish with the garlic mashed. I had a stuffed tenderloin which was quite good and my potatoes were lobster whipped(lobster stock, chunks of claw meat, onions and spices).

The Caesar salad was served whole leaf, but the dressing was a bit sweet and not at all Caesar-like. The dessert choices were not exciting.

There was nothing to entice me to return, especially given the prices.
Doug

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:04 pm

Thanks for that info, Doug. I can safely skip it then... unless someone else is buying. :wink: