Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

IOTM: Fresh porcini polenta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

IOTM: Fresh porcini polenta

by Jenise » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:55 am

Late yesterday afternoon, the porcinis that I ordered that weren't going to come because they were out were delivered anyway, much to my surprise, so I cut one up, sauteed it, and built the polenta that was already on my menu from there. The only other additions were a pinch of basil and a handful of grated parmesan.

The result was quite tasty, but unfortunately the dish was terribly unattractive as the greenish-colored gills dissolved into the porridge and turned it a rather unappetizing color compared with polenta's usual brilliance. For that reason alone, I would not do this again.

But at least I tried.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: IOTM: Fresh porcini polenta

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:27 pm

Jenise wrote:unfortunately the dish was terribly unattractive as the greenish-colored gills dissolved into the porridge and turned it a rather unappetizing color compared with polenta's usual brilliance.

I wonder if you could have played an artist's palette (as opposed to palate) game and worked in some other ingredient colors to come up with something more attractive, albeit different? Sun-dried tomatoes? Saffron or turmeric? Squid ink? It might have ended up with an even more atrocious color, but desperate times call for desperate measures. ;)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: IOTM: Fresh porcini polenta

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:45 pm

I wonder if it was really a porcini and not a related genus like Suillis? When wet, did the top skin of the cap seem slimy at all? Was the spongy part (should be pores, not gills) yellowish-green before cooking?