Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Green bean, basil and radish salad (The Herb Farm)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Green bean, basil and radish salad (The Herb Farm)

by Jenise » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:01 pm

Because Thanksgiving means millions of American households will be making Green Bean Casserole, green beans are especially plentiful and pretty right now and radishes are sweet: it's the perfect time of year for this fantastic salad from the latest Herb Farm Cookbook which someone in my monthly dinner group brought as a course for meal themed "Pacific Northwest Cuisine". Each couple provides two wines for their course, and this one was served with a Qupe Marsanne and L'Ecole 41 Semillon. The table was unanimous in preferring the fruit/acid balance of the Marsanne for the dish.

1/4 c finely chopped shalllots
2 tblsp sherry vinegar
1 lb fresh haricot verts or small green beans
1 bunch radishes sliced
1/2 c coarsely chopped basil
2 tblsp EVOO
1 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c thin shavings Parmigiano-Reggiano

Mix the shallots and vinegar in a mixing bowl and let them sit to mellow the raw bite of the shallots while the vegetables are being prepped.

Boil the beans in heavily salted water until just tender but still crunchy. Drain and shock the beans in ice water. Drain again and dry on towels.

Add the beans to the bowl with the shallots. Toss in the radishes, basil, olive oil, salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Turn out onto a serving platter and top with the shaved cheese.

In place of basil and parmesan, for a different twist try tarragon and fresh goat cheese or dill and crumbled feta.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov