Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

On the subject of mushrooms?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

On the subject of mushrooms?

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:54 am

Back in the old WLDG forum...Hoke posted a sauteed mushroom pate' recipe w/...ground almonds?...supposed to a great match for wine..pinots in particular? I can't find the recipe..nor the old post.

Does anyone remember that recipe? Can you re-post it here?

Thanks,

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: On the subject of mushrooms?

by Jenise » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:01 am

I don't remember it, I'll take a look. But you remind me that Mike once posted a recipe for a wild mushroom galette that I meant to dig out and repost. I should do that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:31 am

Richard, I copied this recipe at the time and have made it several times with success. At Hoke's suggestion, I have been cooking through Ash's book.

I also found it in FLDG:

Date: 25-May-2004 21:16
Author: Hoke Harden (Sonoma, CA) Email
Subject: RC: Wild Mushroom Pate a la John Ash
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a recent dinner party we prepared this, and really liked it. Very simple recipe.

Saute about one and a half pounds of mixed mushrooms (wild is best, but a mix of crimini, portobello, shiitake, etc., from the grocery works too) with some olive oil, garlic and shallots or green onions. Add some cumin and curry powder. Saute until the liquid from the shrooms cooks off. Remove from heat.

Chop up some cashews (all we had was salted cashews, so we used that -- [about a cup full.] Consequently, we didn't add any additional salt to the mix. When the cashews are chopped, add a couple of tablespoons of nut oil (any flavor of nut oil preferably, but olive oil can substitute) and puree until a paste.

Add the sauteed mushrooms to the nut paste and process it until it is pate smoothness.

Salt and black pepper to taste.

Let cool. Can be kept in the fridge for 3 days. Take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature before serving.

The texture will be very firm, and the taste is rich, earthy, and very shroomy, but with that soft nutty/sweet flavor. Great served on chunks of Acme Green Olive Bread.

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=433456

It's worth checking the thread -- there are some good comments.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks Folks....

Richard
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

We took this dish along to a wine dinner...Rave reviews all the way around..

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:12 pm

I don't know how many times I was told..."thats the best hummus I've ever had...LOL.

Really easy to make and it goes woderfully with both red & white wine.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: We took this dish along to a wine dinner...Rave reviews all the way around..

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:24 pm

Good stuff, Richard. Another tip of the hat to Hoke and John Ash. :)
no avatar
User

Rebecca S Webb

Rank

Cellar rat

Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Lexington, KY

Re: We took this dish along to a wine dinner...Rave reviews all the way around..

by Rebecca S Webb » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:16 pm

This is a recipe that we have used quite often and it always gets great comments ...

Shiitake Hazelnut Vegetarian Pate*
4 oz Shiitake Mushrooms
1/8 tbsp thyme
3 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts
2 tsp dry sherry
3 oz Neufchatel cheese
1 tsp fresh parsley
Trim and discard woody ends from mushrooms. In a food processor, finely chop mushroom caps and stems. Melt butter in a medium skillet. Add mushrooms and garlic and saute for at least 5 minutes. Stir in thyme, pepper and salt. Chop parsley in food processor. Add hazelnuts and process. Add Neufchatel cheese and process until smooth. Add sherry and mushroom mixture, and process until well-mixed. Spread or mold in serving dish. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Serve with crackers. Yields 1 cup. Other mushrooms can be substituted for or combined with Shiitake.
Rebecca Webb
Sheltowee Farm
http://www.sheltoweefarm.com
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

That looks great, Rebecca....

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:13 pm

I'll try that out during the upcoming holidays.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: That looks great, Rebecca....

by Jenise » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:33 pm

Rebecca, that's a great recipe. If you don't mind, I'm going to repost it for you so that it's a searchable recipe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rebecca S Webb

Rank

Cellar rat

Lexington, KY

by Rebecca S Webb » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Jenise --

Thanks for re-posting .... still learning a new forum system.

I would like to add that this recipe was taken from a book by Paul Stamets ... Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms or The Mushroom Cultivator. Paul Stamets is one of our mentors and we have taken his mushroom seminars. Just want to make sure I give credit where credit is due.

Thanks again ...

Rebecca
Rebecca Webb
Sheltowee Farm
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:52 pm

Hi Rebecca, It is good to see your name a again posting on this forum. As you will see it is so much better than the last. With winter coming soon, I suppose you will not have a lot of shroms to offer, but I do think I have you email address on file so I can order some of the fruit of your labor when they start growing. Would you like to iterate just which shrooms you are growing this year? Thanks.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Rebecca S Webb

Rank

Cellar rat

Lexington, KY

by Rebecca S Webb » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:20 pm

Bob, first I am confused as to where I know you. Surely not an insult to you, but a reminder that my life has turned my brain to mush! Not Mushroom! We, Sheltowee Farm, have made extreme efforts to have all of our mushrooms available year-round. Our Oyster Mushroom building has been in operation for 4 years and we have over 16 different strains of Oyster Mushrooms year-round. We have managed through a lot of back breaking work to have Log-grown Shiitakes year-round. That has changed this year, as our new facility is now functioning. We are still harvesting (actually last week was our best week this year) log-grown shiitakes. Mid November we will start harvesting indoor shiitakes from our new process. Two years of testing is now available to your table. My husband, Billy, will be planting our first round of (non-test) Maitake and Lion's Mane this Friday. It should be available by Valentine's Day.

Thanks for the support!
Rebecca Webb
Sheltowee Farm