Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Damn near perfect

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Damn near perfect

by Hoke » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:09 pm

Cold night, two seats open up at the crowded bar just when we walk in, steamed mussels in a Pernod-laced broth, matchstick frites with a spicy aioli mayonnaise, thick crusty bread char-toasted for dipping, and a big round glass of Duvel Belgian Ale with about a two inch head on it.

And the bartender, despite being busy, orders another plate of that bread without me having to ask for it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Damn near perfect

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:37 pm

Sounds great! But where were you? :)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Brussels?
Antwerp?
Brugge?
Please share. Belgium is this foodie's favorite country to eat my way through.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:39 pm

Oh.

I did say "near", not perfect.

Not far from home.

The girl and the fig. Sonoma Plaza. Weekly hangout. Insult the bartender, and be insulted in return. Talk to the locals.

I admit I did think about Belgium though: Bruges, actually. And Paris, over on the Left Bank, just a short stroll from St. Germain.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:32 pm

Ah, the Pernod mussels. Funny that those (especially when accompanied by grilled bread) are the best mussels I've had (though I've never been to Belgium). One of these days when I can find some fresh mussels that aren't a week old, I'm making that. Thanks for the reminder.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:03 pm

One thing that added a lot to the enjoyment of these moules, Walt, was the way the girl and the fig does the bread.

Don't be afraid to use a thick hefty slabslice of good bread, and for sure don't be afraid to grill it heavy!

They do it over an open flame so there's even a bit of singeing/charring going on. That bit of char is like an added spice to the enjoyment of the entire dish. Really makes a difference.

PS: If you get Artisan bread where you are, try that. It's our local bakery (oh the joys of living in Sonoma), and it's fantastic stuff.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:42 pm

Hoke wrote:They do it over an open flame so there's even a bit of singeing/charring going on. That bit of char is like an added spice to the enjoyment of the entire dish. Really makes a difference.

True, true, true! Similarly pizza from a woodfired oven with that touch of ash and char ... yum³!!!
Hoke wrote:PS: If you get Artisan bread where you are, try that. It's our local bakery (oh the joys of living in Sonoma), and it's fantastic stuff.

True again! Coming from the NY/NJ metropolitan area and being Italian, I am somewhat spoiled (or should I say "sperlt") and jaded when it comes to bread. But I have to admit that some of the best breads I've had on the left coast have come out of Sonoma.

Almost makes me wish I had plunked down that $600,000 for the 1,300 sq.ft. house with neither central heat nor central air nor anything else when I had the chance! :roll:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:33 pm

Look on the bright side- you're closer to Acme.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:50 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Look on the bright side- you're closer to Acme.

Wylie Coyote sold out to Albertson's a while back. In fact, they're all part of the conspiratorial food behemouth SUPERVALU INC.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:06 pm

Besides being a top supplier of anvils and skate rockets, Acme is making the best damn Italian-style breads I've had this side of Milano. They've unfortunately become a necessity for me.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Besides being a top supplier of anvils and skate rockets, Acme is making the best damn Italian-style breads I've had this side of Milano. They've unfortunately become a necessity for me.

Are we thinkin' the same Acme? Mine is the supermarket chain located back east. And, in general, most supermarkets in the northeast offer decent Italian bread. Has something to do with the water and high concentration of southern Italians.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:20 pm

Gary, Gary, Gary. You live in CoCo and you haven't been to Acme Bakery??? OK, run right out, Berkeley is only 20 minutes away. Seriously. Right now. Stop reading this note. GO!
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Gary, Gary, Gary. You live in CoCo and you haven't been to Acme Bakery??? OK, run right out, Berkeley is only 20 minutes away. Seriously. Right now. Stop reading this note. GO!

Madonna mia, I should have known. Well, right now I'm leaving for some pork tenderloin, care of St. Mary's College catering service and my better three-fourths, and I'm taking a bottle of ESJ Bone-Jolly with me. First things first.

But, next week, I have an appointment at Peet's roasting facility in Emeryville. I intended on dropping in on Kermit Lynch's place afterwards, as I have never been, but, the gods willing, I will pass by Acme as well.

Hey, I'm a transplant and not a smart one either ...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Stuart. look at the picture. He hasn't evolved past an austrolepithicine! How do you expect him to find a bakery in Berkley? I mean he still cross-breeds with chimps!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:12 am

Hey, I'll chime in for support of Acme.

Great bread! Had some Monday. And then again Tuesday.

The bread and salt for our new house, courtesy of JBL and Lynn, was Acme and Smoked French Lavender Sea Salt. Those Berkeley guys do things in style. huh?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Damn you!

Now you have me slavering for a big plate of moules et frites and I can't think of a place to get them nearby.

Grrrrrrr!ImageImageImage
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:00 pm

Hey, what about that Belgian joint that opened up there about a year ago? I haven't been, can't remember the name...and then there's Pastis on Fourth. Moules et frites is what I ordered the last time I ate there, and Les might be dragging your butt there next week for the steak tartare and frites which I recommended to him last night.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov