Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hey! Chef Carey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: proportion of water to rice

by Thomas » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Howie, I'm delighted! It all depends on your cookware and cooking style, of course, but you might now experiment with pulling back even more. As I said at the start of this thread, I never use more than a cup and a quarter, and that presumes the rice is washed and wet.

You might also try, if you're game for playing with this a bit, sauteeing the rice in oil or butter first. Say olive oil, and if you want to add flavor add a few cloves of sliced garlic. (I'd use two for one cup of rice, and salt the water too.) The fat creates an impermeable jacket on each kernel of rice, and the rice cooks up even firmer. The olive oil-and-garlic flavored rice is delicious under braised dishes where garlic would echo a component in the main dish, like spanish pork meatballs with olives just for instance.

Yep, a fine way to cook rice. I often split the liquid--one half water, one half vegetable or chicken stock.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:36 pm

Actually, I did saute the rice in oilive oil, which I do on occasion. Constantly stir it with a fork until most of the grains get whiter, then add the water. Often I use some stock, but last night I didn't, as I was having it with fish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:42 pm

With fish? Throw in a thick lemon slice. Or make Bill Spencer happy and throw in two. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Previous