Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP request: Couscous?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

RCP request: Couscous?

by Saina » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:09 pm

I used to like couscous very much. Then I went to visit my parents, who then lived in Libya, for an extended winter holiday. I had a great time visiting archaeological sites and deserts. Unfortunately Libya is not the place to go for culinary feasts. I was served greasy chicken and bland couscous at every lunch and dinner. The town of Ghadames, the rock paintings, the Roman ruins and the Berber settlements in Jabal Tarablus were unforgettable. So was the food, but for a totally different reason.

I haven't been able to face couscous since, even though I know that it can be a wonderful dish. Recently my gf said that we should eat some. I said ok, and whipped up a very quickly made mix of aubergines, tomatoes and couscous with lots of harissa. I guess this is some sort of "comfort food" for me as this with chicken was what I often ate in Saudi Arabia when young. It doesn't need a psychologist to say why I left out the chicken today though. :roll: I unfortunately put too much harissa for Suvi :(, but I don't mind lots of heat in my food.

This isn't a recipe, sorry. It's just mindless rambling caused by nice food and a big glass of wine (and a second one on its way). I just wanted to say I'm glad I got over my aversion towards couscous. Now I'd just like to know what else to make from it!

Cheers,
Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP request: Couscous?

by Jenise » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Otto, as you well know, couscous can go with just about any kind of stewed meat or vegetable dish, but two of my favorites are:

1) Carrot/Ginger couscous: saute several peeled, sliced or diced carrots with a couple smashed coins of ginger in good olive oil and then add the couscous and liquid of choice. I prefer chicken broth. Tasty addition: lots of cilantro just before serving.

2) Lemon and Olive couscous: I love the Morroccan classic Chicken With Perserved Lemons and Olives, but a faster/fresher way to satisfy the jones is to put the flavors of the braise into a couscous and serve the couscous with grilled, flattened, boneless/skinless chicken breasts lightly brushed with cumin oil. You don't need preserved lemons--lemon slices saute beautifully, they'll even brown.

In the cold of winter it probably isn't as appealing, but I adore couscous salads made with chopped dried apricot, celery, pine nuts, and celery seed. The dressing would be a mix of vinegar, oil, harissa, salt and brown sugar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov