Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

quick ragu

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

quick ragu

by John Tomasso » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:37 pm

If I'm going to any trouble at all, I usually go for Marcella's recipe, chapter and verse. I just dedicate the day to it, and that's that.

If I want a quick version, I do this one which is supposedly a Neopolitan recipe - fast, with no pretension.

Sweat an onion, finely diced, in 1/4 cup xvoo
Add 1lb of ground chuck
Season with salt and black pepper
Stir together and cook just until the meat loses its raw color
Add a handful of chopped parsley and a handful of chopped basil. (I know, I know you're supposed to add fresh basil at the end, but this is the way I've always done it. Humor me)
Add a can of whole tomatoes in juice - either roughly cut up with a knife right inside the can, or squeeze and crushed by hand before adding to the pot.
Taste and reseason with salt and black pepper.
Let cook at a simmer just until it all comes together - don't overcook it, half an hour the most.

Sauce your pasta with it and top with plenty of grated pecorino romano.

That's it. Perhaps missing the depth of flavor of more intricate ragu - but when made with good ingredients, it makes a very simple and satisfying meal. I like to make a loaf of Robin's ultimate baguette to sop up the leftover sauce in my dish once the pasta is gone.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

d'oh

by John Tomasso » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:39 pm

Robin
this was meant as a reply to your foodletter post - you'd think I'd have the s/w figured out by now. Could you move it, if you don't mind?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: d'oh

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:42 pm

John Tomasso wrote:Robin
this was meant as a reply to your foodletter post - you'd think I'd have the s/w figured out by now. Could you move it, if you don't mind?

I don't think the software supports that, John, or at least I haven't read the manual yet. :)

This is a good recipe, though, and I don't mind at all having it out where people can easily find it.