Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Farmer's Market today.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Farmer's Market today.....

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:46 pm

I've noticed a big increase of dark leafy greens at the Farmer's Market this season, more as we get into fall and closer to winter. Today, I found a huge basket with bundles of dark greens plus dark burgundy beet greens. The color was so beautiful. The lady farmer put them into a bag for me. When I got home, I discovered she had pulled the entire plant, tiny baby beets still attached, no bigger around than my little finger. What a treat this will be sautéed, and pleasing to the eye!
I also spotted some lovely golden turnips, with smooth skin and very dark green leaves.

An Asian booth has the sweetest strawberries I’ve had all summer. The berries are bright red all the way through. Apples, green beans, cilantro (with roots), fresh eggs, tomatoes, (probably the last week), green beans, spinach, arugula, carrots (so sweet), winter squash, assorted Asian greens, and fresh goat burger.
This intrigued me, so I bought two pounds for my dog, who eats raw. It is very lean, deep red, no odor.
So, if your area still has an open market, what is available?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Farnmer's Market today.....

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:34 pm

So Karen, why don't you try the fresh ground goat. Goat meat is very sweet to the taste, and should make a great lean burger. Seems a waste for this animal's flesh just go to feed your dog.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:56 pm

No, not a waste at all. My dog is a pet therapy animal and he has a job. He has patients at our local hospitals and care facilities. As a puppy, he developed skin problems, which the local vet seemed to be at a loss to solve. I finally took him to a holistic vet who solved the problem, putting him on a raw diet. He is healthy, loves his diet, and does a great job with his work. No more skin problems.

I WILL try the goats meat, used to have them as pets in childhood. So it may be a hard try!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:26 am

Karen, I just re-read what I wrote, and in retrospect it sounds like I was being judgemental, and mean, and I didn't intend it that way. I intended to comment on the use of goat meat as a human food and not just a pet food. I fear that I did not do a good job of my intentions. Please accept my apology.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:02 am

I second the idea of your dog sharing the goat burger with you.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:46 pm

The farmer who sold the goat meat to me said this group of goats gave a very mild meat. She cooked up some burgers before she packaged the meat for selling. Like I said, I had pet goats as a child. We ran my grandfather's land together and they responded to my calls. It will be hard because I can still see Billy looking at me. I promise I will try some today, as I have some out for my fur kid.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Karen, I just re-read what I wrote, and in retrospect it sounds like I was being judgemental, and mean, and I didn't intend it that way. I intended to comment on the use of goat meat as a human food and not just a pet food. I fear that I did not do a good job of my intentions. Please accept my apology.

Apology accepted. I know you did not intend it to be mean, Bob.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Didn't make it to the market this morning, unfortunately. I know what you mean about those strawberries, though. The ones we get around this time of year seem to be the best of the whole season.

Guess I'll have to get my parsnips somewhere else. :(

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Tried the goat burger just now, it tasted like a very good hamburger. Next week I will find out what else she has to offer in the way of goat meat. Rather expensive, $5.95 for 1 lb. of burger. Is this the normal?