Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

trip to canada: lcbo and butter

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

trip to canada: lcbo and butter

by David Creighton » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:02 pm

i know we've talked about butter preferences before. i've still been having trouble finding a good fresh taste. the great stuff i tasted at the fancy food show in chicago was not as good and sometimes rancid when i found it at local stores. the last time i was in niagara i picked up 3 different butters to bring home. the ubiquitous Gay Lea, the normandie version of Presidents Choice and the Fresh Churned versions of Presidents Choice. whilte the Gay Lea was perfectly fine and better than most of what i've had recently, the real hit for me was the fresh churned presidents choice - available in 4 foil wrapped sticks per box for $5 canadian. so, off i went to windsor to buy butter - 6 boxes! i'm a happy guy. i will put something about the lcbo on the wine forum.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: trip to canada: lcbo and butter

by Jenise » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:16 pm

David,

Did your bordcer agents hassle you about your butter? We slip over the border to buy butter, too, a Quebec brand that's vastly superior to anything I get on this side, and I never return with less that four pounds. The border guys find that highly suspicious, "The Canadians come HERE to buy butter and milk!" I've been told. That may be a dated belief as I haven't seen the butter and milk prices are that much more expensive there (at least in traditional supermarkets), but of course what I do is about quality, not price, and the boys just can't understand that.
Last edited by Jenise on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: trip to canada: lcbo and butter

by David Creighton » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:19 pm

hmmm - maybe i forgot to mention the butter. they seemed interested in the wine.
david creighton