Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TTN: A frigging fantastic Japanese Green tea!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TTN: A frigging fantastic Japanese Green tea!

by Saina » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:45 am

Karigane again from EastTeas, brewed at 50C. It is grown partly in the shade, apparently to increase its sweetness.

The nose is just lovely: fresh and grassy, but also with that slight fresh fish scent that many find off-putting but which I love in such balanced amounts as they are here. There is also a touch of something more dark toned that I can't put my finger on (maybe a smoked meat?) but which brings a lovely twist to the scent. Very complex.

The palate is smooth, with a creamy consistency, light and not very astringent but still well balanced and elegant. A lovely tea.

My recent purchases from EastTeas has been great. A shop I'll certainly order again from.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

Re: TTN: A frigging fantastic Japanese Green tea!

by Anders Källberg » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:52 am

That tea sounds a bit similar to the fine Gyokuro tea I tried recently. The tea vendor informed me that the tea bushes are shaded against the mid-day sun by big pieces of cloth, to preserve the greenness of the tea leaves. And the leaves are indeed dark green in colour. A light, but fresh and delicious tea!
See you in chat tonight,
Anders