Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Caribou and Bison Meatloaf

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Caribou and Bison Meatloaf

by Hoke » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:06 pm

Just got back from a week up in Jasper, Alberta.

Enjoyed more than one bison burger (yum), but one night in Jasper I had a full plate dinner of Caribou and Bison Meatloaf.

I was expecting pretty much the standard loosely cooked meatloaf type of thing, and was a little surprised when the plate had a very dense, thick slab of meat that was almost the consistency of a cut of steak.

Not complaining, mind you, just commenting. The flavor and texture of the caribou/bison was very, very good: dense, chewy, slightly gamy notes, not much fat, and an interesting tart flavor that I can only assume comes from the caribou (as I've had bison and buffalo before and didn't get that flavor in the past).

The only disappointment of my time in Jasper was a meal I didn't eat! One night we tried to go into town and dine at Andy's Bistro. Couldn't get a seat; we were gently turned away because they were packed. It's a small place...and right next door to a decent wine shop too!---and couldn't handle the crowd.

Earlier, we had taken a look at the menu, and were quite impressed. The chef/owner is apparently a formally trained Swiss chef, and one look at the list and my mouth was watering. The Wiener Schnitzel was obviously REAL wiener schitzel and not breaded pork cutlets. And they had Schweine Haxe on the menu!!!!! Lots of other Switzerdeutsch stuff listed too. Guess I'll have to go back to Jasper and make a reservation this time. :) [/list][/code]
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Caribou and Bison Meatloaf

by Jenise » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:37 am

Interesting! Caribou is certainly a meat most people never get around to sampling. Even in Alaska, I was never so 'lucky', if luck has anything to do with it. A friend there, though, described once being invited to someone's home for dinner where caribou ribs. The physical description was a riot: apparently, the rib bones are enormous with extreme curvature, resulting in this giant bone that sits up high on your plate like a meal in a Flintstones cartoon. Have no idea what they tasted like.

Where is Jasper, btw? I know where Calgary and Edmonton are, so relative to those?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov