Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Saturday night - comments?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Saturday night - comments?

by Howard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:58 am

Here's where I'll be this Saturday night. I've never been to one of these before. Any comments on the menu or wines?
http://www.localwineevents.com/Chicago- ... 03686.html

Here's a link to the Kendall College Culinary Arts program:

http://www.kendall.edu/Academics/Culina ... fault.aspx
Howard
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Saturday night - comments?

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:18 pm

Looks like it should be an interesting evening, Howard! I like the look of the menu, and it's clear some thought has gone into the wine matching. I might wonder about the match between that interesting chestnut-porcini soup and an older Chateauneuf-du-Pape, but it could work!

Two observations that tweak my Cynic-O-Meter just a tad:

* I'm not familiar with IWFS, but it seems a little imitatively close to The American Institute of Wine & Food (AIWF), which was founded by (among others) James Beard and Julia Child and has a good national reputation. Might not mean anything - heck, for all I know, it precedes AIWF - but it struck me funny.

* Most of the wines look pretty good but well short of OMG status. The Bordeaux is a Cotes de Bourg, a satellite appellation that I happen to enjoy but certainly a lower-rent district, and this item is widely available at retail in the mid-$20 range; the Burgundy is a generic Cote-de-Beaune from a large negociant and retails for $20 or so. Even the '93 Chateauneuf is available for $30 or so in Chicago from Hart Davis Hart, which may be Kendall's source.

I don't mean to pick on it ... I'm sure you'll have a blast, and look forward to your report. It's just that it's fun to skeptically dissect events like this. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:28 pm

Wasn't IWFS founded by André L. Simon in the thirties, Robin?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:08 pm

Thanks Robin,
That's why I threw this up there for discussion. The IWFS has two local chapters, the Chicago Chapter which is invitation only, very closed and expensive and I think dates way back, and the Northern Illinois Chicago region chapter which also has some pretensions, although they are not so closed. Their members have medallions and their dinners tend to be dress up. They also apparently meet in various members homes for dinners and wine-tastings. I've never met any of the members however and found them by searching for wine clubs in the chicago area. So this this will be an exploration by them to see if they want us to join and by us to see if this is something I'd like to pursue. At the very least, it's a chance to eat a meal and drink some wines prepared by well trained chefs who might become well known someday.

Regarding the wines I noticed that most were 2003 and not, um, rare as well. On the other hand it's not $500/plate either. So we'll see.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 pm

And yes Bob, IWFS was founded by Andre L. Simon. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.iwfs.com/americas/am.htm
Howard
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Wasn't IWFS founded by André L. Simon in the thirties, Robin?

Quoting myself, Bob, "I'm not familiar with IWFS" and "for all I know, it could have preceded AIWF." :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks, Howard.

Jancis's take on the IWFS in the Oxford: ""The oldest and most cosmopolitan of the gastronomic societies for consumers rather than professionals ... Now much imitated."

I've thought about this group from time to time -- looking forward to your report.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:00 pm

That looks FUN. Glad you're going. I've dined at a number of culinary schools (the CIA in Napa) and several in Vancouver, but perhaps the most special I've been to is one right here in Bellingham. It's a two year program at Bellingham Technical College that teaches all the real-deal stuff of fine dining, but not to aspiring Trotters and Kellers so much as anyone who finds themselves stuck in life without a real skill, the majority of whom have never eaten let alone appreciated the kind of foods they're being taught to make. It's both humbling and inspiring to witness it close up on both sides of the kitchen door, as I've been given the opportunity to do (I was so impressed, I joined the Foundation).

Anyway, I got off track with what I meant to say which is that you'll find dining in the college environment a blast, even if the wines aren't going to blow your socks off.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:07 pm

"Quoting myself, Bob ..."

I was really asking you, Robin -- for some reason I blew my Google search and didn't get any hits on the group. I did remember you and I chatting about Andre Simon a number of years ago on WLDG -- can't remember the context now -- and was just thinking out loud.

No put down intended. :(

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:38 pm

Bob Ross wrote:No put down intended. :(

Not to worry, Bob, I didn't think so! I'm sorry in turn if I gave that impression. As you mention, I know of Simon in general as a noted connoisseur of another era, maybe the Parker of the '30s? For whatever reason - maybe it's <i>too</i> cosmopolitan? - it has never popped up on my radar screen as far as I cal recall.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:53 pm

Maybe too British and upscale for the likes of us, Robin. :D