Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Simple Clams Florentine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

RCP: Simple Clams Florentine

by Howie Hart » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:35 am

I thought I had posted this sometime in the past, but couldn't find it in the search. I'm posting this for the "Wine Compatible Munchies" thread. I've made this a few times and it was well received.

Simple Clams Florentine
(Serves 12-16 can be fixed ahead and/or frozen)

3 10-oz. cans clams (chopped or whole baby)
2 10-oz. pkgs. frozen spinach (plus butter)
12-oz. package of jumbo pasta shells (about 48shells)
1/2 stick of butter
6 Tbsp. Flour
2 cups light cream (or 1 cup half & half and 1 cup heavy cream)
Dash of nutmeg
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1/2 cup sherry or madiera
Grated Italian cheese (I use Romano)

Cook pasta shells according to directions, soak in cold water to cool and drain. Warm spinach in microwave and melt in a few pats of butter. In a saucepan, melt 1/2 stick of butter, add flour and stir until flour is cooked. Add broth from 2 of the cans of clams, light cream, nutmeg, sugar, salt and white pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until thick. Remove from heat and stir in wine. Put clams with remaining broth in a bowl. Assemble as follows: Pinch ends of shell to open up, add 1 Tbsp. of sauce, 1 Tbsp. of spinach and one Tbsp. of clams. Arrange in an oven proof dish. Top each shell with another Tbsp. of sauce and 1 Tbsp. of grated cheese. Broil until cheese turns golden. Serve 3 per person as a first course with Sparkling wine.