Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Snacks at the Red Cross “Canteen”

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Snacks at the Red Cross “Canteen”

by Howie Hart » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:13 pm

Its Friday and my mind is wandering.
After receiving several annoying phone calls during the past few weeks from the Red Cross (they always seem to call in the middle of either Jeopardy or the hockey game), reminding me that I am eligible to donate, I finally found the time to make another blood donation yesterday. When finished I was directed, as usual, to the “Canteen” for snacks. Why do they call it a canteen? The only canteen I’m familiar with was the quart bottle I carried on my belt in Vietnam. Anyway, the selection of snacks have been pretty much the same for the past 30 years. I never buy any of these items in the store and I always choose the same ones, the first two and apple juice. The choices are usually:

Fig Newtons
    Cheese crackers with peanut butter
    Lorna Doones
    Oreos
    Brownie
    Cookie – chocolate chip, oatmeal or molasses
    Coffee
    Juice

Are the choices the same in your area and what do you choose?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

Re: Snacks at the Red Cross “Canteen”

by JoePerry » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:39 pm

We usually have Cheese Itz (sp.), canned juices and pretzels in addition.

I give blood every time I can, and when I do, I always drive the Phlebotomists crazy as I have made it a contest to see how quickly I can sneak out the door. I'm always in a rush to get back to work, and it always takes longer than I think, so I never hang around.

I also don't take any snacks or sugared drinks. In addition to a service, I consider giving blood a great way to lose weight (it must take at least 1K calories to replace a pound of blood!) it would be a shame to waste such excellent dieting on some Oreos... :shock: :D
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Snacks at the Red Cross Canteen

by wnissen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:52 pm

Joe,

I take the opposite tack: when is is possibly more appropriate to eat a densely caloric snack. Surely getting rid of that many calories via lifesaving blood is the noblest of reasons to eat an Oreo.

I'm a fainter, so I usually have plenty of time to enjoy the ubiquitous snacks. The only thing that they sometimes have is fresh donuts. Yum!

Walt

P.S. The guy in the canteen is named "Bloodgood." I get a kick of that name every time I see him.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Our place has a pretty nice setup with plenty of different kinds of juice and soft drinks. There's a movie theatre style popcorn machine, so there's always plenty of that. The types of snacks vary but usually include a variety of very basic cheeses, crackers, cookies, doughnuts, and even homemade cookies once in a while.

I used to go there after work to give blood and have supper.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:37 am

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:Our place has a pretty nice setup with plenty of different kinds of juice and soft drinks. There's a movie theatre style popcorn machine, so there's always plenty of that. The types of snacks vary but usually include a variety of very basic cheeses, crackers, cookies, doughnuts, and even homemade cookies once in a while.

I used to go there after work to give blood and have supper.

Mike

Hmmm...Maybe I should move to Sacramento just to give blood! A couple of years ago our donation center moved. In the old one they had one of those drink machines that pumps the drink to the top of a clear plasic cover. One of those was always filled with loganberry, making me wonder what they really did with the blood they collected. :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:03 pm

Howie, our word 'canteen' is derived from the Italian word cantina, which originally meant wine cellar and then 'place to buy and drink wine'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:26 pm

Jenise wrote:Howie, our word 'canteen' is derived from the Italian word cantina, which originally meant wine cellar and then 'place to buy and drink wine'.

Thanks Jenise. I never put wine in my canteens - just water, and some of that was pretty awful stuff.