Espresso Powder

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Espresso Powder

Postby Redwinger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:35 am

I know I'm late to the game, but yesterday I made some brownies and for the first time added a bit of recently purchased espresso powder. WOWZER, were they good.
Do you have any unique uses for this stuff in addition to being a chocolate enhancer?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Re: Espresso Powder

Postby Christina Georgina » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:49 am

Good in chile and in pork and beef and lamb braises.Cake and tiramisu dusting
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:48 am

We have a neighbor who takes care of our cats when we're gone. Sometimes she'll stay for a while and watch TV as she doesn't have cable. One day when she was over, we asked her if she wanted something to drink. She asked if she could have some of "that coffee from the jar we keep in the fridge". It took us a while to figure out that she meant the instant espresso. Apparently, she noticed that when she was over one day and has been making "coffee" with it.

Other than that, we've just used it for baking.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Karen/NoCA » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 pm

I keep a small jar of it in the extra fridge for a few recipes I have that call for it. Mostly uses Christina mentioned.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Jenise » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:16 pm

Combine with ground red chile or porcini mushroom dust to make an interesting steak or small beef roast rub. Add a bit to your next Beef Bourgogne.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby GeoCWeyer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 pm

Tiramisu
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
GeoCWeyer
Wine guru

Postby Bill Spohn » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Just a comment - anything powdered, including coffee and spices, quickly lose flavour after being ground.

If you can, it is always best to run stuff through a spice mill (or a good coffee mill if you have a setting for Turkish/extra fine, in the case of coffee). You'll get more flavour out of it.
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Return to The Forum Kitchen