Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

what to do with a big 1lb+ of smoked salmon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

what to do with a big 1lb+ of smoked salmon

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:55 pm

I have a pound plus filet of smoked salmon and would like to do something other than just eating it with crackers while I watch the Superbowl. So, do any of you have recipes for a dish that I might feature at dinner some night?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: what to do with a big 1lb+ of smoked salmon

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Some traditional ideas: Eggs Benedict (use salmon instead of ham), LEO (lox, egg, and onion omelette), chowder (or, perhaps more likely, a variant on cullen skink), quiche (what can't be chopped up and thrown into a quiche?), tossed over pasta with shallots/white wine/lemon/cream.

How about on a bagel with a schmear? :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:32 pm

Jeff pretty much covered my ideas (plus a couple thoughts I didn't have, like chowder or quiche, both sound good).
A few thoughts:
as opposed to eating it with crackers, for canapes I tend to like on hearty bread, cucumber slices, or apple. Capers liven, as does lemon and horseradish (if straight prepared hr is too much for you, can make hr sauce with creme fraiche, yogurt, mayo, or sour cream)

I had bought a large slab of smoked salmon before Christmas, used a bit for one party for canapes, and then a guest brought (delicious) gravlax. Cured salmon overkill. Bagels helped. And as Jeff suggested, for lunch one day Betsy made pasta, she tossed some of the smoked salmon (chopped) in with broccoli, lemon, and creme fraiche.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 am

Actually, if it's GREAT smoked salmon you could hardly pay it a higher compliment than eating it plain on crackers. We smoke 30pounds a year in order to have this treat available from our freezer whenever we want it.

I agree with Dale that Jeff covered most of the bases and Dale added one he missed, as a pasta ingredient. It's also delicious as a salad ingredient, as the anchovy ingredient with romaine or baby spinach in a caesar-flike dressing, or chopped with green onion and dill and served on top of cold poached white asparagus. Or, make a vinaigrette based potato salad and break the salmon pieces into that just before service.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:22 am

Substitute a Belgian endive leaf for the cracker and add a dab of sauce of your choice.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:20 am

I like to cut a baguette into thin slices, toast in oven with a small amount of olive oil then lather on some good quality goat cheese and top off with smoked salmon and sometimes finely sliced onion or shallot.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 am

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I will see which of them I can do. I really like the quiche idea(s). Jenise, this salmon is Sockeye salmon wild caught in Alaskan waters. I've had it before and it is quite good. It is hot smoked though and not a lox style. I have a great bakery less than a mile from my house and I also like the baguette or other hearty bread instead of cracker idea. I'll probably use some of it to make a dip as well. Thanks again for all the ideas.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Bagel and cream cheese.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Bob, remember that salmon penne recipe I sent you? There you go!

JB
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 pm

JuliaB wrote:Bob, remember that salmon penne recipe I sent you? There you go!

JB

I do remember that now that you remind me. Thanks
JB.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:25 pm

I make a sauce for pasta - spinach or egg noodles. Throw slivers of salmon at the last minute in a sauce made with sauteed shallots, fennel, vermouth a bit of cream. Depending on the noodle with or without a few capers. This is one of those dishes that you would finish off by cooking the sauce with the pasta for the last few minutes. Good coarsely ground black pepper. Can substitute a good stock that has been reduced to intensify the flavors for most of the cream. Works well with asparagus but fennel is now in season and the fronds make a nice garnish.

A quick spread with flaked salmon, capers, dill,green onion, mascarpone or sour cream is nice but somewhat ordinary

Salmon cakes

Crepes shaped into a cone filled with thin shards of salmon and a dollop of Greek yogurt seasoned with citrus zest and juice.

When you think of it, 1 # is not really very much.

I am thinking that this is similar to the smoked fish we get from Lake Superior
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Bob,
One thing we began to do with the plentiful supply of smoked salmon in New Zealand was to make sushi rolls from it. We'd make sushi rice (steamed short grain rice, rice wine vingear and a touch of sugar), slice the smoked salmon, add some sliced scallions and sesame seeds and wrap it all in purchased nori (dried seaweed). Even our picky eater son loved them.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:55 pm

Further to Mark's sushi rolls idea, if you are bored with straight sliced smoked salmon (hard to believe) you can take a thin layer, spread some soft cream cheese or goat cheese on it, sprinkle with dill and/or freshly toasted sesame seeds, and roll it up. Chill in the fridge and then cut into slices. Looks great but tastes the same as the same ingredients just slapped on a plate.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Bill Spohn wrote: Looks great but tastes the same as the same ingredients just slapped on a plate.

Love it. That's a great comment!
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

I have a slightly different twist -- I'd say just toast or crackers and maybe some butter -- but a good smoked salmon is one of the few foods I like to accompany a single malt Scotch. And, if you're into single malts, that kind of transforms the experience.

If you really want to get fussy, I've made Thomas Keller's recipe for salmon rillettes several times (and we had that as an appetizer at Bouchon during our California trip last summer). Smoked salmon plus steamed salmon with butter and egg yolk and cooked chopped shallots, you stir it all together to make a paste, and it's really very good.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/LindaSan ... Salmon.htm

For me, "one pound" of smoked salmon would be no problem whatever...
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Soup
Smoked Salmon Soup

6 tablespoons cream
2 cups half and half

Reduce cream. Add half and half. Boil once or twice to slightly thicken.

1 package frozen chopped spinach
6 ounces smoked salmon
½ tspn kosher salt
½ tspn white pepper
2 dashes Maggi seasoning

Cook spinach in microwave. Drain and press all water from spinach. Take half of spinach and add to blender with ½ cup half and half. Puree. Set aside.

Add smoked salmon and ½ cup of half and half to blender. Puree. Set aside.

To the scalded mike and cream add 6 heaping tablespoons of puree spinach and the entire mixture of smoked salmon and milk. Taste for seasoning. Heat and serve.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:16 pm

Smoked salmon ravioli

8 ounces smoked salmon
4 ounces ricotta fresh whole milk please(drained) or goat cheese ricotta (drained)
2 ounces cream cheese
2 ounces parmagiano regiano cheese grated
2 ounces mozzarella grated
1 ounce Italian parsley minced
2 egg yolks beaten
¼ tspn kosher salt
1/4 tspn french pepper

Yields about 36 small scoop ravioli. Serve with cream sauce or simple Italian red gravy with a little cream.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:57 pm

Get a fork. Or, I can send you my address. :wink:
One of my favorite things in the world is smoked salmon (not the lox kind though). No accoutrements needed.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)