Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Scallop and Herb Terrine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Scallop and Herb Terrine

by Jenise » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:19 pm

This is a reprint of a recipe I posted long ago on FLDG. I dug it out as I'm going to use it this morning to make individual terrines to serve as a first course at our Thanksgiving meal. This time I'm doing it all-shrimp, as I've had some large Malaysian Flower shrimp in my freezer for a long time that need using up. Anyway, if the recipe's good enough to use over and over again, it's good enough to share again.

Date: 16-Oct-2004 19:19
Author: Jenise Email
Subject: RC: Scallop and Herb Terrine
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've been playing with this recipe all summer using different combinations of seafood and herbs, and have finally decided on a favorite--the simple, direct flavor of just scallops with dill and cilantro. I use dry-packed frozen wild scallops from Alaska.

1/2 lb scallops
1 tblsp butter
1/2 c V-8
2 tsps Worcestershire sauce
a dash or three hot sauce like Tabasco or Chilula
2 tblsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tblsp fresh chopped dill (1 tblsp dried dill
the zest of one small lemon
1 c sour cream
1/2 tsp salt (if you used unsalted butter above)
ground white pepper
1 envelope unflavored gelatin

In a small saute pan, saute the scallops for two to four minutes depending on their size. Do NOT overcook! In another small pot, combine the V-8 and gelatin and stir while heating to dissolve the gelatin. (This step works well with a coffee cup in a microwave, too.) Set aside to cool.

When the scallops are done, remove them to a food processor and coarsely grind. Place in a bowl with the reserved cooking liquid and whisk in the remaining ingredients.

Pour the mixture into a three cup or larger dish or gelatine mold. Unmold by setting the dish into a larger dish containing a few cups of boiling water for about half a minute to loosen. Do not leave it too long or your mixture will melt.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: RCP: Scallop and Herb Terrine

by Howard » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:19 pm

Sandy loves dill. And Scallops. Definitely goes on the to do list.
Thanks
Howard