Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Fallen Chocolate Cake

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Fallen Chocolate Cake

by Jenise » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:43 pm

"The late Richard Sax, celebrated cookbook author and champion of home cooks the world over, inspired this flourless chocolate cake--a riff on his iconic chocolate cloud cake." So sayeth Bon Appetit magazine in introducing this recipe which describes something I've never seen before, a souffle-like cake in which the center is intended to to cave in creating a basin which, after the cake cools, is filled with a whipped, sweetened mascarpone cream. I may never make it myself, but it sounds so cool I just had to post.

FALLEN CHOCOLATE CAKE

1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into 1" pieces, plus more, room temperature for the pan
3/4 c. plus 2 tblsp sugar, divided, plus more for the pan
10 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (61-72% cacao), coarsely chopped
2 tblsp vegetable oil
6 large eggs
2 tblsp natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp kosher salt

topping:
1 c chilled heavy cream
1/2 c mascarpone
3 tblsp powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly butter 9 inch springform pan and sdust with sugar, tapping out any excess.

Combine chocolate, oil, and 1/2 c butter in a large heatproof bowl. Set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat, stirring often, until melted. Remove bowl from saucepan.

Separate four eggs, placing whites and yolks in separate medium bowls. Add cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, 1/4 c sugar and remaining 2 whole eggs to the bowl with the yolks and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Gradually whisk yolk mixture into the chocolate mixture, blending well.

Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until frothy. With mixer running, gradually beat in 1/2 c sugar, beat until firm peaks form.

Gentle fold egg shies into chocolate mixture in two additions, folding just until incorporated between additions. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top and sprinkle with remaining two tblsp sugar.

Bake until top is puffed and starting to crack and cake is pulling away from the edge of the pan, 35-45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cake cool completely in the pan (cake will collapse in the center and crack as it cools).

For the topping, use an electric mixer on medium high speed to beat cream, mascarpone and powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Remove the cake from the springform pan and move to serving platter, then fill cake with cream mixture.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Fallen Chocolate Cake

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:25 pm

My wife makes a version of this from Nigella Lawson's book Feast. It's an Easter cake in which you fill the fallen part of the cake with ganache and decorate the top with malted milk ball Easter eggs. It's been a hit for several Easters running. The mascarpone cream would be wonderful in this.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Fallen Chocolate Cake

by Jenise » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Mike, that would be my husband's idea of the perfect birthday cake--he LOVES malted milk balls. Thanks for the idea!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov