Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Duck fat in pie crust?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Duck fat in pie crust?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:12 am

Robert J remarked:
I also did something new with my pie crust this year. I usually use all butter (I don't really like using hydrogenated oils) but this time I substituted some (4 tbsp.) of the butter with duck fat. It was the flakiest and most flavorful crust I have ever made.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Maybe it's because I don't really care for duck, but I am having a difficult time imagining the taste. Robert, did it impact the flavor profile, or just add complexity?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Duck fat in pie crust?

by Robert J. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:24 am

It really just added to the flaky texture. Good rendered duck fat will not have a huge meaty taste. And I used only 4 tbsp.

I have some duck fat in my fridge that is leftover from confit for my cassoulet (I sautee potatoes in this stuff, yum-yum). Since it has already been used to cook the actual meat it is too meaty tasting. I picked up some fresh fat from the butcher at the grocery store where I work. It is very clean tasting.

Leaf lard works well but since I have duck fat on hand all year long I just used it.

Way back, on the finish, you think that there is something else on the palate but just can't quite put your finger on it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 pm

OOH OOH OOH. I've got some duck fat from my last roast--couldn't use it in a sweet pie crust but I'm suddenly thinking turkey pie. What a great idea, Robert. Btw, welcome to our kitchen table.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:21 pm

Thank you. I'm glad to be here where I can brainstorm with other foodies and enophiles. I'm looking forward to expanding my wine knowledge and I love to share recipes!

Like I said, if the fat doesn't have a real 'roasty' smell then it works great in a sweet fruit pie; it just adds a bit more richness.

I did think, however, of putting it in some savory galettes (butternut squash with fontina and sage :twisted: ) Even if it has the 'roasty' smell I think that it would rock in a pie like this.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:42 pm

Robert J. wrote:Way back, on the finish, you think that there is something else on the palate but just can't quite put your finger on it.

Hmm. Well, I am not sure I would try this myself, but I bet I'd find it delicious if someone else did and then served it to me! :D
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:44 pm

I suppose I could upscale the idea and use foie gras fat in a crust.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:33 pm

Robert, what is leaf lard?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Robert, what is leaf lard?

Leaf lard is a very rich fat that surrounds a hog's kidneys. When rendered properly (this is a tricky and time-consuming process) it produces a very clean tasting lard that works well in pastry. It is hard to find and I wouldn't buy anything labeled such on the grocery shelf. I would only get it from a reputable butcher who won't sell you just any old fat and say that it is leaf lard.

If you google it you might be able to find a good supplier. If I hear of one I will post it.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:56 pm

Thanks Robert, even though I was raised on a farm, and we almost always slaughtered 1-2 hogs each winter/fall, I had never heard the term. Is this somewhat akin to caul fat in a bovine?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:09 pm

In a way, I guess that it is similar. It is just a little more solid. Caul fat has that kind of lacy texture. I used to work in a restaurant and we ran a special of lamb chops with spinach 'stuffing'. We simply wraped the spinach and lamb in caul fat to keep the whole thing together.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:38 pm

Like I said, if the fat doesn't have a real 'roasty' smell then it works great in a sweet fruit pie; it just adds a bit more richness. '

Mine's definitely too meaty for a sweet treatment. But for a savory poultry pie, it would be fab. I think I have enough for both a crust and a helping or three of fried potatoes, something I presume you know duck fat does the most amazing job of.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:43 pm

Jenise wrote:
Like I said, if the fat doesn't have a real 'roasty' smell then it works great in a sweet fruit pie; it just adds a bit more richness. '

Mine's definitely too meaty for a sweet treatment. But for a savory poultry pie, it would be fab. I think I have enough for both a crust and a helping or three of fried potatoes, something I presume you know duck fat does the most amazing job of.

I fry potatoes in duck fat every chance I get.

I wonder if you could make a sort of pate feuilletee with the fat? Then you (I) could make savory puff pastries or a poultry pie with a puff pastry topping.
no avatar
User

Brian McCullough

Rank

Just got here

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:25 pm

by Brian McCullough » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:52 pm

Robert,

I noticed that you are in Austin. Can you recommend anywhere to get leaf lard in the area? I'm up towards Round Rock.

Brian
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:42 pm

Brian McCullough wrote:Robert,

I noticed that you are in Austin. Can you recommend anywhere to get leaf lard in the area? I'm up towards Round Rock.

Brian

Welcome Brian. I think that you will enjoy the forum here. I know that I am. I've only been a member for a month, too!

I work at Central Market Westgate and have not seen it there but I will check and see if we can order it. You might want to try Whole Foods though I think that it is a long shot.

It is pretty hard to find. I have a mail order source but not at hand. I'll post it when I find it in my pile of junk.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Oh, by the way, I am making Chicken and Dumplings tonight. Can y'all guess what kind of fat I am using in the biscuit dough for the dumplings? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:01 am

The nice thing about leaf lard is that it freezes almost indefinitely once rendered. I have a bunch in my freezer.

It's not actually that hard to render it just takes a long, long time. I get it at the Union Square Farmer's Market (though the butcher in my old neighborhood also carries it).
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:42 am

Jay Miller wrote:The nice thing about leaf lard is that it freezes almost indefinitely once rendered. I have a bunch in my freezer.

It's not actually that hard to render it just takes a long, long time. I get it at the Union Square Farmer's Market (though the butcher in my old neighborhood also carries it).

Can they ship?
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:48 pm

I don't know. I can ask on Monday though. They do most of their business locally so I don't know if they're set up for shipping perishable products.
no avatar
User

Brian McCullough

Rank

Just got here

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:25 pm

by Brian McCullough » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:48 pm

Robert J. wrote:I work at Central Market Westgate and have not seen it there but I will check and see if we can order it. You might want to try Whole Foods though I think that it is a long shot.

Thanks for the welcome, Robert!

I've checked with the Lamar Central Market a year or two back but no joy. So I recently sent HEB a feedback form asking that they carry it at one of their high-end stores. Maybe something will come of it.

I have to admit to knowing next to nothing about wines. The added flavor complexities they contribute to cooking is my primary interest. I rarely sauté without deglazing with wine. However, I've opted not to risk drinking alcohol since I've got a compulsive personality. (Figure if I'm a pound-a-day inveterate Chocoholic, I surely wouldn't be able to drink wine in moderation.)

However, I get the evil eye from friends and relatives who fancy themselves wine connoisseurs... they insist that if I'm going to abuse the poor squeezings that way, I should use cheap cooking wines. Haven't been able to convice them that when you spend that much time and money on good ingredients (such as a choice cut of meat), risking the final product with a lousy quality salted wine is pure stupidity.

So, they always suggest marginal wines when I ask for their suggestions. Perhaps the folks here have suggestions for a basic stock of wines for one's larder?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:20 pm

I try and use wines that are not too fruity or oaky. The too fruity wines end up tasting a little like grape jelly and the too oaky ones get a little bitter. I have had good luck with Colosi, Columbia Crest Merlot, Grayson Cab Sauv in the red. Whites I like are usually Sauv Blanc or a Languedoc blend; Domaine des Cassagnoles is good. All of these are available at C.M. and right around $10/bottle.

I'll check on the leaf lard this weekend.