Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Low-fiber veggie suggestions

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Low-fiber veggie suggestions

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Normally I try for a high-fiber diet, but I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, and while I'm on the two-week antibiotic regimen my doctor advised a low-fiber diet, then going back to a high-fiber diet once the infection is healed.

Most of the veggies I normally eat, such as carrots, celery, and peppers, are high-fiber. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams I classify in the "starch" rather than "veggie" category. What other veggies are out there that could be considered low-fiber in this context?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Low-fiber veggie suggestions

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:41 am

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 am

Paul Winalski wrote:Normally I try for a high-fiber diet, but I was diagnosed with diverticulitis, and while I'm on the two-week antibiotic regimen my doctor advised a low-fiber diet, then going back to a high-fiber diet once the infection is healed.

Most of the veggies I normally eat, such as carrots, celery, and peppers, are high-fiber. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and yams I classify in the "starch" rather than "veggie" category. What other veggies are out there that could be considered low-fiber in this context?

-Paul W.

cooked boy choy, carrot, collard greens, celery, tomato, all have grams listed in the 2. area.
Plums, apricot, catelope are 1 gram or below.
Cashews, are 1 gram and the lowest in my nut list
If you look online for the fiber grams for all veggies, It will give you a list of those with less fiber
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Jeff,

Thanks for the NIH link. It looks as though I was being excessively paranoid about things.

-Paul W.