Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Who does eggplant best?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Who does eggplant best?

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Who does eggplant best?

This, of course, is a leading question that takes us down paths we don't need to travel. I would argue that any country or culinary region where eggplant is grown has learned to do good things with it. China? Check! Japan? Check! Southeast Asia? Of course! Let's not forget the Mediterranean, from Greece through Italy to France ... or, for that matter, the Americas.

But on any given day, I might turn to Southwestern Asia, from Turkey around to the Arabian Peninsula and Iran, as the place where this meaty, hearty veggie (or is it a fruit?) comes into its own.

And one of the best dishes from this food-favored land has to be "Imam Bayildi," which is said to translate as "The Imam fainted," implying that this garlic-rich dish is so impressive that if you feed it to visiting clergy, they'll faint dead away. (Lesson to seminarians and wannabe clergy: Don't be so full of ourselves that we make the people we visit want to put us to sleep.)

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I had a bunch of those skinny white eggplants that have been coming in from the garden all summer, so I decided to do a variation on Imam Bayildi, realized as a pilaf.

It was about as simple as simple can be: Cut eggplant into 1-inch dice. Toss them with some green pepper and onions cut into squares and a bowl of just-picked cherry tomatoes. Mix with salt and olive oil and roast at 400ºF for at least 30 minutes or until well roasted and browned. Mince a lot (2 tablespoons?) garlic fine and mix it with a few dried-red pepper flakes, black pepper and kosher salt. When the veggies have roasted, make a quick pilaf by browning the seasoned garlic in a good splash of olive oil until it's aromatic. Then parch 1/2 cup rinsed, soaked and drained basmati rice in it, add 2 cups liquid (I used half water and half-homemade tomato sauce) and simmer until a good part of the liquid is absorved and the rice getting tender. Stir in the roasted veggies and continue to simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, the rice tender and the flavors blended.

It went great with an artisanal Beaujolais from Pierre Charmette but would reward any good dry French or Italian red.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: RCP: Who does eggplant best?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Eggplant is a fruit and a member of the nightshade family (like tomatoes, potatoes and chile peppers). Last night I made Pasta all Norma. Loved the sauce with the roasted eggplant and fresh tomatoes. The creaminess of the eggplant is lovely. Not sure who does it best but it seems very popular around here with a lot of restaurants offering it marinated in sandwiches, eggplant parmesan, grilled and more.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:"The Imam fainted,"

Can I serve that with strozzapreti (which translates to 'priest stranglers')? :lol:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:38 am

The version of the explanation of the name I heard was that the dish was so rich in olive oil that the iman fainted at the expense, referring to aubergines ability to soak up considerable quantities of oil.

Long time since I made it, served in a lengthways scooped out half aubergine shell. As I recall, I children didn't swoon at the dish. Maybe now time to retry.