Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: (IOTM) Vodka-spiked cherry tomatoes with Pepper Salt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: (IOTM) Vodka-spiked cherry tomatoes with Pepper Salt

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:47 pm

I despise Vodka so won't be making this myself, but it may be of interest to those of you who love a good martini. From The Gourmet Cookbook:

What makes these tomatoes special is the fact that they are peeled. Do't worry; after you blanch them, their skins slip right off and you are rewareded with tender little orbs. They're given a serious kick by the vodka.

3 pints firm small cherry or grape tomatoes
1/2 c vodka
3 tblsp white wine vinegar
1 tblsp superfine sugar
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
3 tblsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tblsp coarsely ground black pepper

Cut a small X in the bottom of each tomato, blanch for three seconds five at a time in 2 qt saucepan of boiling water, then immediately transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice water bath to stop cooking. Drain, peel, transfer to large shallow dish.

Dissolve sugar in vodka and vinegar, add zest, pour over tomatoes and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Mix salt and pepper and serve with tomatoes for dipping.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: (IOTM) Vodka-spiked cherry tomatoes with Pepper Salt

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:22 pm

Wow! I have a somewhat similar recipe I was going to post, Jenise. Great minds and all that.

These things fly off the table at cocktail parties.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 pm

I like your term "fly off the table". We could acronym it and make ourselves a new word FOTT, or fott. Can you think of any word our langugage offers that's close? There's "irresistable", but it's more admiring than dynamic and not at all particular to food. "This recipe is SO fott!". I like it, I like it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:56 pm

FOTT.... Love it!

There a couple problems with all the other words I thought about using, the foremost being it takes the action off the tomatoes and puts it in the hands of others... as in "people inhale these." The tomatoes cause the action after all, by the very essence of what they are allowed to become when melded with the other ingredients. Their nature is to go out in the world and bring pleasure to those they encounter, sacrificing themselves to the culinary gods.

I don't particularly care for vodka either, but I will eat these. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:45 pm

So, to make a noun out of it, 'inhalers' would work if the asthma people didn't already own that one. So how about 'fotter'?