Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: IOTM - Black Russian Cake

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

RCP: IOTM - Black Russian Cake

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:54 pm

Saved this years ago but have never made it. Might give it a try this weekend.

Black Russian Cake

1 Yellow cake mix
1 small instant chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup vodka
1/2 cup Kalua
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Mix all ingredients together. Bake in a bundt pan at 325 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until you can put in a knife and it comes out clean.

For decoration sprinkle powdered sugar and/or lemon zest on top.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: IOTM - Black Russian Cake

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:34 pm

This would be a cool recipe for anyone who's crazy about that drink. I'm not one, but I'll bet if one substituted rum it would taste a lot like the rum balls a long ago local Albertson's market used to sell. I never cared for hooch-y sweets but I had a room mate who was nuts about those, and I have to admit they quite grew on me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Alise Oliver

Rank

Just got here

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:38 pm

by Alise Oliver » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:46 pm

I've made this cake about 25-30 times, and have experimented with a bunch of different booze.

I've found that the one I like most is the cake with Frangelico. Kahlua the second favorite. I've tried with macademia liqueur, but I think the taste is too subtle to come through.

I've also substituted devils food cake and paired that with Chambord. That's really good too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:39 pm

Alise, you've really done some experimenting. Have to admit I haven't: but for a bundt cake made with gewurztraminer, or macerating fruit in kirsch or something, I am certain I've never used alcohol of any kind in a dessert. I can see where Frangelico would give a nice nutty flavor to a dessert without being too overpoweringly alcoholic.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov