Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cling film and Storage Bags

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cling film and Storage Bags

by Jenise » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:35 pm

Since I'm a devoted mail-order customer, the Stretch-Tite company sent me a clip from the Cooks Illustrated show on PBS wherein they tested various clings films. The winner? Stretch-Tite. I was amused by the way the tester commented that you can only buy it at warehouse stores or direct from the manufacturer, but that in spite of it's relatively low availability most of the kitchen staff there was just nuts about it. They were quite pleased, then, that their confidence was borne out by whatever tests they put the competing wraps through. Thought I'd mention it in case anyone here has yet to try Stretch-Tite. Also, I highly highly highly recommend their dispenser. They sent me one free and I don't know how I ever lived without it before--because it makes my favorite cling film so handy, I almost never use plastic storage containers for refrigerator storage anymore. Put the bowl in front, pop the lid, pull a piece over, snap it shut, stretch the film tight to work the cling, and it's on the way to the refrigerator.

Then last night we discovered that our new HD TV picks up a new public TV channel that's all cooking programs and the like. OUTSTANDING! What was on was an episode of Cooks wherein they tested food storage bags. Ziplocs, Glad, and several other brands were tested, both in regular and freezer thicknesses, and of the Ziplocs both the old press type closure and the new zipper doodad. Having not liked the zipper guys, especially at twice the price, I was not at all unhappy (but perhaps a little surprised) that the zippers failed the leak test and the strength test. (The strength test was very practical: they filled a whole bunch of bags with the same quantity of heavy tomato sauce and then shoved them off the edge of a counter. Many split open.) One bag survived every test they put it through: the mid-priced, no frills Glad Freezer bag. Since I don't like the zippers, and since I've been suspicious from more leakers than usual that the Ziploc quality isn't as good as it used to be, next time I buy bags, I'll be GLAD!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Cling film and Storage Bags

by Bob Henrick » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:31 pm

Jenise, I remember you reporting on Stretch-tite film previously, and I let it slip my mind, therefore I have never used it. A couple questions though. Do you know if the Wrapmaster 2500 dispenser comes prefilled? if so by how much film? and the same question about the Freeze tite film filled or not, and if so how much?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:57 am

I couldn't live without ziplock gallon bags. We use them to store (in the freezer) empty cat food cans, chicken parts, shrimp shells or any food waste that can kick up a stink after being stored outside in the South Texas heat.

Prior to starting this, the garbage area outside would smell like a charnal house. The ziplocks are the easiest..

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:27 pm

Bob, because I didn't order but they gifted it to me with a roll (presumed to be one year supply for the average household, though I go through one in 6-9 months), I'm not sure if the dispenser comes alone or with your first roll. Best as I recall it didn't come filled, though.

Richard, I coiuldn't live without Ziplocs either--I keep three sizes in two strengths on hand at all times. But I like the old style better than the new, and like I said lately I've had too many leakers. I'm switching.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:48 pm

NOt for nothing, but I buy Stretch tTght at my local Publix...plain vanilla grocery store in these parts...

And I buy it because YOU recommended it...Get them to start paying you.

And now I'll buy Glad, too.

b
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:11 pm

Lucky you, Barbara, to get it at a grocery store. I'm envious! Have you gotten the dispenser? I tend to scoff at handy devices like dispensers and I hate hate hate stuff that lives on the countertop, so I'd have never ordered one myself but since they gave it to me I started using it and quickly couldn't live without it. And it has to be on my counter, too--ready to pop open, set a bowl in front of, and pull a sheet over with both hands.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:20 pm

Jenise, the stretch Tite wrapping film is not available here in Ky, so, I called the company and the fellow I talked to told me that it is at Walmart in Kentucky. There it is called Sam's Choice Stretchable Wrap, and is made to the same formula as the company brand. I will get a roll of the company brand, compare and report back here.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:43 pm

Sam's Choice! Now that's good information and new since I called to complain about Costco pulling the brand. Good for them--with Walmart as a customer, they're not missing Costco any longer.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks, Jenise. Is this the product?

https://www.stretchtite.com/order.htm

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:28 pm

That is the one Bob, and welcome back.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Bob, dear, yes that's the stuff. Did you see the Freeze-Tite? I know you freeze a lot of food and that might be useful. I haven't used it yet myself, but I'm going to order some.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:29 pm

Thanks Bob.

Regards.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:44 pm

That is the one Bob, and welcome back.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks, Jenise. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:03 pm

Yeah, welcome back Bob...you were missed by a few of us!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:12 pm

Thanks, Bob.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:14 pm

"with Walmart as a customer, they're not missing Costco any longer."

But just think how much more they could sell, if Costco, Walmart, and Sams Club all sold it all across the USA. :-) Seriously, I was so impressed with the fellow I talked to when I called to see where it was sold in Kentucky, that I would buy it regardless of the shipping charges which I consider a bit high. I haven't even tried it yet and already I am sold.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:39 pm

Jenise, UPS rang my doorbell around 5pm today, and when I answered the door he gave me a package containing 2 500' foot rolls of the Stretch Tite film wrap. This is definitely a company that I want to do business with.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 pm

You probably talked to Jim Baldwin, the President of the company. He often answers the phone, I've found. Great guy, great product. And that's great service you got. Re Costco and Walmart--Costco was a huge loss to them, and they didn't have Walmart yet, that's all I meant. And Walmart's bigger.

But guess what I found today? Was at a place here called Cash & Carry, which appears to be the same store I knew in Califorrnia as Smart & Final--they have Stretch Tite, too!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:37 pm

Maybe I should call Jim from Canada?? # please, Jenise. Thanks, hows the birding?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:32 am

Jenise wrote:Since I'm a devoted mail-order customer, the Stretch-Tite company sent me a clip from the Cooks Illustrated show on PBS wherein they tested various clings films. The winner? Stretch-Tite.

Sounds like a ladies' clothing item - do they have it in rolls of gold lame for those jazzercise classes.... :shock:

Frankly, although I consider myself a keen and critical consumer, I have never given any thought to the merits of various cling wraps.

Pray tell what exactly makes this one so superior to others? I just use the regular old stuff and SWMBO has drwawers full of those click-seal plastic containers (the ones we aren't supposed to microwave any more), so we don't use plastic wrap much any more.

Whenever I see those commercials with the star wrap supporting 3 elephants while Brand X collapses in ignominious defeat, I always think "So what - good to know if you want to stash any live elephants in the fridge I suppose, but whatever we use seems to do the job"

What am I missing Jenise (please limit yourself to clingwrap, we don't have all day...)
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 pm

We rarely use cling wraps or freezer bags -- if we have something suitable for freezing, we use vacuum seal bags.