Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Just call me Lounge Lizard Larry

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Just call me Lounge Lizard Larry

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:00 am

I just played the piano at a French restaurant tonight to fill in for another player, and tomorrow I start regular Saturday night gigs.

What makes this amazing to even me, is that a little over two years ago I had a stroke and I couldn't use my left hand to touch type or play the piano. And I couldn't read complex music. The notes didn't make any sense to me--it was like a form of heavy duty dyslexia.

But within two days of being home from the hospital, I started tinkling on the ivories and, now, my left hand and arm are almost as good as before. The plasticity of the brain is downright amazing. Bit o' advice about strokes: don't have one.

Has the weather changed in your area? Just two days ago, I didn't need to wear a jacket outside, now it's hit 17 degrees. Cold weather makes me hungry for comfort foods such as pea soup, breads, etc. [Okay, hungry for everything.] How 'bout you?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Just call me Lounge Lizard Larry

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:41 am

Ooh!

Larry, where are you playing? We'll stop by and listen. Being ex-professional musicians we always tip well! :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:30 am

Chez Axel. I play a mix of music, from classical to show tunes, etc. I'm far from professional, being mostly self-taught with a few lessons when I was about six. The electronic piano there just doesn't have the feel of a real piano, so it takes a little time to get used to it. BTW, I was thinking: if I could find a little battery-powered candelabra, I might stick it on the piano as a Liberace-type of gag.

For a tip, just bring a Hobart N-50 or Kitchenaid K5A mixer.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:03 am

Larry, you never cease to amaze--layers of talent. And determination. Congrats on the gig. I love the candelabra idea.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:07 am

Larry, here's one that's fairly compact, inexpensive, and 'lovely' in that upscale-trailer-park kind of way:

http://www.gardeners.com/Battery-Operated-Candlelabra/default/StandardCatalog.20693.34-680.cpd
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:17 am

Nice, but I think I'll hold out for a Liberace type.

Well, I played tonight. It was a long day for me (about 12 hrs), consisting of a morning program by SouthWest Writers (of which I'm the Decider), a SWW workshop in the afternoon, and then a party. The party was catered by a vegetarian restaurant, Siringitu, and the food was outstanding. I even liked the Brussel sprouts--and that's quite an accomplishment.

I took my favorite wife to my gig, direct from that party. Part of my piano playing charge is a glass of red wine (which I insist upon) to sip between tunes. Okay, so I'm not expensive. Now the owner wants me to play for an event on Monday night. How do I get to Carnegie Hall? Da dum dah.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:51 am

That is awesome, Larry!

Glad you're back behind the keyboard and playing again :D
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:45 am

The glass of wine I had tonight while playing looked just like your avatar. I lucked out; the benefit I played for had a buffet dinner and silent auction. (The first item up was a wine cooler, with a starting bid of $2K.)

Then the owner invited me to a plate. Yum. Boeuf bourguignonne, a type of garlic chicken, broccoli, rice and a dessert of pear in ginger sauce. It sure beat the couple of saltines with peanut butter I had earlier as I rushed out of my house to my gig.