Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Truffles and wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Truffles and wine

by John Tomasso » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:11 am

A few like minded individuals got together to celebrate truffle season and cook some food.

With some NV Piper Heidsieck Brut, we had a beautiful frittata. The truffle had been stored with the eggs, which were then used to make the frittata. It was topped with roasted red peppers, and finished with shaved truffle at the table.

The next course was my homemade fettucine. The pasta was cooked, drained, set back on the stove and dressed with Beurre d'Isgny and Parmigiano Reggiano. It was then plated and showered with truffle. We paired this course with 1980 Ducru Beaucaillou which was just a beautiful wine.

After that course we needed a breather. Someone opened a Karly 1995 Amador County Syrah which I thought was a bit past its prime. While we drank this, we prepared the next course.
The other fellows did all the prep for this course a couple of days prior. Cornish game hens were deconstructed - the legs were removed from the thighs, and the meat scraped off the bone and tendons removed. The thigh meat was also removed from the bone. This meat was then turned into forcemeat which was stuffed back into the legs. The breasts were halved airline style, with wings attached. A stock was prepared from the thigh bones and other trimmings from the birds. They were then allowed to rest in the fridge with some shaved truffle for a day or so. We topped the finished dish with parsley, truffle, and the reduced stock.
We paired this course with a 1993 Moccagatta Barberesco - Bric Balin and a Collosorbo 1998 Brunello. Neither wine showed to its potential - the Barberesco needed more air, and I think the Brunello had some low level TCA. Oh well.

Still needing more wine over which to linger, I went to a backup bottle, the Geantet-Pansiot 1996 Gevrey Chambertin. This wine was singing - I wish I had more. Lovely, elegant Burgundy.

I didn't take a shot of the wonderful pear tart. We had a dessert wine from Luna Vineyards - Mille Baci - 2000 - late harvest, didn't get the variety, and frankly, at that point I was barely paying attention.

After that, just some Armagnac, and sleep.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Truffles and wine

by Robert J. » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:16 am

I don't recall getting an invitation :(

Seriously, that all looks and sounds fantasitc!