Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Beef Wellington

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

RCP: Beef Wellington

by RichardAtkinson » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:40 pm

I saw Gordon Ramsey do this dish on TV...or the "telly" as the case may be. I haven't done it yet, but I'll be attempting it for Christmas dinner. It is a beautiful dish...hopefully I can pull it off. I may sub something else for the wilted lettuce though.

Richard

Beef Wellington with Sautéed potatoes and wilted Baby Gem lettuce

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb Beef filet
1 lb Portobello Mushrooms
4 slice Parma ham
English mustard for brushing meat
8 oz puff pastry
2 Egg yolks
Approx 8 Charlotte/New potatoes
1 Clove garlic, crushed
1 Sprig thyme
2 large baby gem lettuce
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Mustard vinaigrette, optional

METHOD:

Pre-heat the oven to 400 F

Heat some oil in a large pan and quickly fry the seasoned beef all over until it's brown. Remove and allow to cool.

The point of this is simply to sear the beef and seal all those juices in, you don't want to cook the meat at this stage. Allow to cool and brush generously with the mustard.

Roughly chop the mushrooms and blend in a food processor to form a puree. Scrape the mixture into a hot, dry pan and allow the water to evaporate. When sufficiently dry (the mixture should be sticking together easily…looking and acting like a hamburger patty…..turn several times to get all the moisture out), set aside and cool.

Roll out a generous length of cling film, lay out the four slices of Parma ham, each one slightly overlapping the last. With a pallet knife spread the mushroom mixture evenly over the ham.

Place the beef fillet in the middle and keeping a tight hold of the cling film from the outside edge, neatly roll the parma ham and mushrooms over the beef into a tight barrel shape. Twist the ends to secure the clingfilm. Refrigerate for 10 -15 minutes, this allows the Wellington to set and helps keep the shape.

Roll out the pastry quite thinly to a size which will cover your beef. Unwrap the meat from the cling film. Egg wash the edge of the pastry and place the beef in the middle. Roll up the pastry, cut any excess off the ends and fold neatly to the 'underside'. Turnover and brush egg wash, liberally, over the top. Chill again to let the pastry cool, approximately 5 minutes. Egg wash again before baking at 400 F for 35 - 40 minutes. Rest 8 -10 minutes before slicing.

Par boil the potatoes in salted water. Quarter them and leave the skin on. Sauté in olive oil and butter with the garlic and thyme, until browned and cooked through. Season. Remove the thyme and garlic before serving.

Separate the outside leaves of the baby gem (leaving the smaller inner ones for salads) and very quickly sauté them in a pan of olive oil with a little salt and pepper - just enough to wilt them.

Serve hearty slices of the Wellington alongside the sautéed potatoes and wilted baby gems. A classic mustard vinaigrette makes a great dressing
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RC: Beef Wellington

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:21 pm

I love Beef Wellington. Excellent to eat and beautiful to look at.

One of the first recipes I posted back on the old FLDG was for individual Beef Wellingtons with green peppercorn sauce. For that one, you take filet mignon cuts and wrap them up in the pastry with the mushrooms and such.

That was really good. Might have to think about revisiting it for this Christmas.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:26 pm

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:I love Beef Wellington. Excellent to eat and beautiful to look at.

One of the first recipes I posted back on the old FLDG was for individual Beef Wellingtons with green peppercorn sauce. For that one, you take filet mignon cuts and wrap them up in the pastry with the mushrooms and such.

That was really good. Might have to think about revisiting it for this Christmas.

Mike

Well, as you probably know ,I have a recipe for an individual Wellington in my book. Must be something in the air I just got an email from my ex-wife (we are friends) asking me about preparing Wellington for Christmas.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:35 pm

I'm thinking like Mike: been a long time since I made a Wellington. I like the proscuitto wrap described in Ramsey's recipe.

A quick question, Richard: I thought I was bi-lingual when it came to British ingredient terms, but 'gem lettuce' throws me. Is it Bibb?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:15 pm

ChefCarey wrote:
Well, as you probably know ,I have a recipe for an individual Wellington in my book. Must be something in the air I just got an email from my ex-wife (we are friends) asking me about preparing Wellington for Christmas.

Indeed! I remember seeing that as I went through the book the first time.

BTW, I've managed to stay friends with my ex-wife as well. I much prefer her as "just a friend".

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:57 am

Jenise,

It was Bibb. Small curled leaves. He stripped the outer leaves and used the curled 2nd layer inner leaves.

Richard
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:05 am

I ought to add that before the final bake, scored the top of the pastry pretty heavily after the egg wash. Made for a very nice presentation when it came out of the oven.

He also said something about how when working with pastry dough like this...you started with a colder oven , brought the temp up quickly, then lowered? In order to get the crisp top that looked so good?

I missed some of that part and it doesn't mention anything in the recipe. Maybe someone can enlighten me on this subject? I've not worked with puff pastry dough before.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:15 am

Mike Filigenzi (Sacto) wrote:

BTW, I've managed to stay friends with my ex-wife as well. I much prefer her as "just a friend".

Mike

Geez, I'm impressed. I can't afford anything as extravagant as an ex-wife - the current one is all I can keep up with.

And she hates it when I introduce her as my first wife even though that happens to be true. There is just no pleasing some people..... :roll:
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:08 pm

You should reduce the portobellos by half, and substitute reconstituted morels. You'll get a more complex flavor.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:45 pm

the current one is all I can keep up with.

You're keeping up? :shock:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:51 pm

Jenise wrote:
the current one is all I can keep up with.

You're keeping up? :shock:

I asked her if she'd like a little goose for Christmas. :lol:

I aim to please!