Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheese Straws

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Cheese Straws

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:41 pm

I have always loved cheese straws (they certainly do not look like straws, though do they?) I usually pick them up at the bakery or specialty stores because any previous attempt to make them fell short of my expectations. Today the tides have turned and the angels are smiling. I made cheese straws, and they're good! Here is the very simple recipe I used.

I'd like to know how you make yours, and if you have a favorite recipe.

Parmesan Cheese Straws

2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
¼ cup milk
Pecan halves (optional)

Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add cheese and butter. Process until blended.
Add flour, salt and pepper to cheese mixture; process about 30 seconds or until mixture forms a ball, stopping often to scrape down sides.

Divide dough in half; roll each portion into a 1/8-inch thick rectangle, and cut into 2 x ½ -inch strips. Or shape dough into ¾ inch balls; flatten each ball to about 1/8 inch thickness.

Place strips or rounds of dough on ungreased baking sheets; brush dough with milk. Top with pecan halves, if desired.

Bake strips at 350 degrees for 7 minutes and rounds for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool.

Yield: 5 dozen cheese straws or 3 dozen wafers.

- Christmas with Southern Living Cookbook – Volume 2
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cheese Straws

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:27 pm

Isn't it wonderful when you finally get your hands around something that eluded you for years? I love that.

I wonder if these are a regional thing? I haven't seen "cheese straws" per se around, even at bakeries over here on the left coast. Sounds like they'd be a nice snack for champagne.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:57 pm

Jenise, thanks for responding. You know I never thought of them as a regional item. I did a quick google search and found several references to "Southern", so it may be a Southern thing. That could explain why no one volunteered their favorite recipes - no one outside of the South has heard of them.

I'll have to give them a try with some champage over the holidays.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:14 pm

Heard of them Linda, even consumed them, but never made them. Might give it a whirl now though.