Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What Is it with Wives.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

What Is it with Wives.....

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:45 am

Can someone tell me why a wife that uses margarine instead of butter, that complains when one indulges oneself, say with a modest feed of foie gras, that comes on like the banshees if she sees you adding a dollop of whipping cream to your coffee, can turn around and dump in a cup of said whipping cream into a cream soup and hand you the whole thing in a bowl with a smile on her face?

I'm just trying to figure out if it is the fact that the recipe says to do it that somehow sanctifies it as GOOD cream instead of BAD cream (but then they never listen to US, why would they obey a magazine article...).

I once thought that they just didn't want to see us enjoying ourselves (there is ample evidence to support this theory), but that can't be it, as I enjoy the soup.

That's OK, I have another friend that is a nutritionist who spends all day telling people what is good for them (and no doubt continues that job, but as a hobby, at home in the evening). Apparently chocolate is one of the major approved food groups and doesn't count somehow in terms of caloric or carbo intake. Perhaps they just issue nutritionists with a free pass that applies to chocolate? Did I mention that said nutritionist also happens to be female....
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: What Is it with Wives.....

by Thomas » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:36 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Can someone tell me why a wife that uses margarine instead of butter, that complains when one indulges oneself, say with a modest feed of foie gras, that comes on like the banshees if she sees you adding a dollop of whipping cream to your coffee, can turn around and dump in a cup of said whipping cream into a cream soup and hand you the whole thing in a bowl with a smile on her face?

I'm just trying to figure out if it is the fact that the recipe says to do it that somehow sanctifies it as GOOD cream instead of BAD cream (but then they never listen to US, why would they obey a magazine article...).

I once thought that they just didn't want to see us enjoying ourselves (there is ample evidence to support this theory), but that can't be it, as I enjoy the soup.

That's OK, I have another friend that is a nutritionist who spends all day telling people what is good for them (and no doubt continues that job, but as a hobby, at home in the evening). Apparently chocolate is one of the major approved food groups and doesn't count somehow in terms of caloric or carbo intake. Perhaps they just issue nutritionists with a free pass that applies to chocolate? Did I mention that said nutritionist also happens to be female....

Egads, margarine! I'd rather consume truck loads of cream than that stuff.

I'm lucky. My wife does exactly what I say and she expects me not to do what she says. I'm also crazy and hardly ever know what I am talking about...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Thomas wrote:My wife does exactly what I say and she expects me not to do what she says.

C'mon, Thomas, that's right up there with Santy Claus and the Tooth Fairy!

Wives are like cats - you look at them and tell them to go pick up that stick, and they look back at you like you are crazy, and if you want it picked up go do it yourself, and make sure you don't bother them while you are about it.

Men are like dogs.....oh never mind......Image
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:44 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Thomas wrote:My wife does exactly what I say and she expects me not to do what she says.

C'mon, Thomas, that's right up there with Santy Claus and the Tooth Fairy!

Wives are like cats - you look at them and tell them to go pick up that stick, and they look back at you like you are crazy, and if you want it picked up go do it yourself, and make sure you don't bother them while you are about it.

Men are like dogs.....oh never mind......Image

Just like a dog Bill, you peed on my dream ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:59 pm

Men are like dogs.....

Both take up too much space on the bed.
Both have irrational fears about vacuum cleaning.
Both are threatened by their own kind.
Both mark their territory.
Both have an inordinate fascination with women's crotches.
Neither does any dishes.
Both pass gas shamelessly.
Neither knows how to talk on the telephone.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:54 pm

It's a little-known secret that all women when they're about 14 years old go to a secret school that trains them how to push men's buttons, etc.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:34 am

I find it most entertaining that the Food Nazis, after years of telling us "butter bad--margarine good" are now, in the wake of trans-fat knowledge, wiping egg off their faces. And eggs apparently ain't the dangerous cholesterol-loaded menaces we were warned about, either. Not that I'm sure I want to eat anything that comes out of a chicken's bum, anyway. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:50 am

Interestingly, the same Food Nazis (CSPI) behind this move had cited trans fats as acceptable substitutes for palm oil when they were on that litigation track about 20 years ago. Once that source of lawyer money dried up, the trans fat users became the next target.

I'm sorry, I truly hate these sleazebags. It's the 95% of dishonest lawyers that give the rest a bad name.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:41 am

I don't hate anybody, but I truly dislike them too.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:48 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I'm sorry, I truly hate these sleazebags. It's the 95% of dishonest lawyers that give the rest a bad name.

Your logic is slightly askew. I think you really mean, "It's the 95% of lawyers that give the rest a bad name."
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Interestingly, the same Food Nazis (CSPI) behind this move had cited trans fats as acceptable substitutes for palm oil when they were on that litigation track about 20 years ago. Once that source of lawyer money dried up, the trans fat users became the next target.

I'm sorry, I truly hate these sleazebags. It's the 95% of dishonest lawyers that give the rest a bad name.

Stuart,

You is right-on. I've been spouting about CSPI for years. They were instrumental--not alone, but important to the thing--in getting us the warning labels on wine and that absolutely inane and useless CONTAINS SULFITES.

Have you seen my blog? First entry was about the sulfite trail. http://www.vinofictions.com
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:55 pm

Thomas, things on your blog are slightly askew. When you click on something, instead of going onto the white space, it all rolls over to the left and can't be read.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:31 pm

Carl,

Check those cookies. This is usually the fix when others have experienced the "problem."

The blog is set up so that the entries come up with the link.

Or you can go to vinofictions.blogspot.com and see it there.
Thomas P