Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Drunken skirt steak (IOTM)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Drunken skirt steak (IOTM)

by Jenise » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:14 pm

On Tuesday I put some skirt steak out to thaw, but it was too cold in the house and it didn't thaw in sufficient time for me to marinate it. So I threw it in a ziploc with a mixture I use often as an overnight 'cure': curry powder, salt and sugar. Only this time I used a roasted garam masala a friend sent me from Malaysia, and something about it's smokey note made me think "Bourbon!". So I added about two tablespoons. The intent was to BBQ on Wednesday.

But on Wednesday I forgot about the skirt steak and bought some chicken breasts to pound into paillards. So the skirt steak brewed yet another day and we grilled them last night. We LOVED the flavor. The bourbon really came through loud and clear to me, since I knew the flavor of the garam masala alone, but the combination was so harmonious that someone unfamiliar with either would not have detected the alcohol ingredient. It just tasted exotic, though the flavors were overall too heavy due to 36 extra hours of marinating time. Eight would have been ideal.

Next up: the pork chops in bourbon/mustard sauce recipe I stole from the dentist's office.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Drunken skirt steak (IOTM)

by Bill Spohn » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:43 pm

I swear that when I saw that header I immediately thought of you even before I looked to see who the author was!

I never cook with Bourbon as we are a Scotch family and I can't stand Rye (I know that's different, but Rye and Bourbon share more characteristics than Bourbon and Scotch).

I make my own Garam Masala - I must see if I can find the recipe and post it. It keeps quite well in an airtight container.