Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Bacon and Potato Packets

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Bacon and Potato Packets

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:32 pm

No fan of the dry onion soup and I would not use it personally, but this would nonetheless taste very, very good. Like the idea of the foil packet meal--fun to plate. Would be GREAT for kids.

Bacon-Potato Packet.jpg

Bacon & Onion Foil Packet Potatoes

2 to 3 sheets of heavy-duty foil
1 packet onion soup powder
10-12 baby red potatoes, thinly sliced
12 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
1 small onion thinly sliced and diced
1 cup cheese (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
Sour cream for serving (optional)

Spray each sheet of foil with cooking spray. Top each sheet with equal portions of potatoes, bacon, onion soup powder and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each serving. Wrap securely.

Grill for 20 to 30 minutes. Or you can bake it in the oven, at 350° for about 35 minutes or till done. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve in foil, topped with sour cream if desired.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Bacon and Potato Packets

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Just looking at the recipe, I'm conflicted regarding the onion soup mix. I guess I've have to taste the results and see if I could come up with an alternative to it that would improve the dish. It might be that the soup mix really works well in this.

Sounds hedonistically delicious, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Just looking at the recipe, I'm conflicted regarding the onion soup mix. I guess I've have to taste the results and see if I could come up with an alternative to it that would improve the dish. It might be that the soup mix really works well in this.

Sounds hedonistically delicious, though.

That's what I meant by "it would nonetheless taste very, very good". The recipe is actually, in a way, a deconstructed rustic version of Joel Robuchon's potato-bacon gratin, whose recipe I posted here long ago. The ingredients for that are just bacon, potatoes and gruyere cheese. For my tastes the addition of the thinly sliced fresh onion already gives the dish an extra flavor. The onion soup mix just adds a beef/onion-flavored saltiness--and that wouldn't be bad at all, but still. For me? Not needed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm

I have always found that those dry soup flavorings have a sharpness, probably from all the salt ? other chemicals , that does something weird to my mouth and I can't imagine using a whole package. Would be fun to play around with one of Penzey"s salt free mixes in the same prep.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Ah c'mon folks...it's OK to use things like that now and then. Make sure you get a good brand. My dad used to make a roasted potato dish using dry onion soup mix....it was fabulous. There are just some things that work, unless you have a super sensitive sense of taste, like Carrie and can taste the non-food ingredients. That potato packet with the bacon sound delish. :) If you want you can make this substitute for the dried pre-packaged stuff.

3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Directions:

1 Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

2 About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:04 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Ah c'mon folks...it's OK to use things like that now and then. Make sure you get a good brand. My dad used to make a roasted potato dish using dry onion soup mix....it was fabulous. There are just some things that work, unless you have a super sensitive sense of taste, like Carrie and can taste the non-food ingredients. That potato packet with the bacon sound delish. :) If you want you can make this substitute for the dried pre-packaged stuff.

3/4 cup instant minced onion
1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Directions:

1 Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.

2 About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package.

Hey, I have no objection to other people using stuff like that--I'm not being snobby, I'm just not a fan of boullion flavor. All I would taste is onion dip. (Now the seasoning packet in an oriental flavor Ramen--blue package!--that I could do.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:31 am

I must admit I am a bit of a food snob, when it comes to what I use in cooking. I went through a phase when I used almost nothing canned, or prepared, except for tomato products. Even then, I had most of my tomato sauces, paste, in the freezer, and even went through a time when I canned a lot of tomatoes, peaches, etc. Age, and a two person household has changed all that. I have no issues now with using shortcuts. Somehow, it just does not seem to be so important anymore. :o I still prefer using the best of everything, grow what I can support in my garden, all year. Even that is getting downsized. At almost 81, Gene is slowing down and I can see a change in our future to a much smaller home. We've been talking about it for years.....at least now we have a lot, should we chose to go that route.
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:59 am

How can I get the bacon crispier?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Welcome Joe.

The recipe says it is cooked bacon that is added to the packet, so you would cook it as crisp as you want it, before adding to the packet. Be aware, it will be cooking in the packet. Also, Jenise said "crumbled bacon" so it must have been crisp enough to crumble.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I must admit I am a bit of a food snob, when it comes to what I use in cooking. I went through a phase when I used almost nothing canned, or prepared, except for tomato products. Even then, I had most of my tomato sauces, paste, in the freezer, and even went through a time when I canned a lot of tomatoes, peaches, etc. Age, and a two person household has changed all that. I have no issues now with using shortcuts. Somehow, it just does not seem to be so important anymore. :o I still prefer using the best of everything, grow what I can support in my garden, all year. Even that is getting downsized. At almost 81, Gene is slowing down and I can see a change in our future to a much smaller home. We've been talking about it for years.....at least now we have a lot, should we chose to go that route.

I grew up on those shortcuts, so that's what they taste like to me: instant, not homemade. My mother never made her own stocks nor did she buy canned--it was all boullion. This dish will taste better to me without it--more salt, and maybe some thyme or herbs d'Provence, and I'm good.
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks Karen!

Oh, I missed that, but have decided to try this with pancetta instead!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:04 pm

I grew up on those shortcuts, so that's what they taste like to me: instant, not homemade. My mother never made her own stocks nor did she buy canned--it was all boullion. This dish will taste better to me without it--more salt, and maybe some thyme or herbs d'Provence, and I'm good.

I understand how that could happen. Lucky you, for having such a refined taste at that early age. My mom, grandparents and aunt were very good home cooks. My aunt had a huge garden, as did my granparents, who also raised chickens, rabbits, and goats, and shared with us, so we always had fresh foods. It wasn't until the kids grew older and were going in many differnt directions for sports, that I started checking out the shortcuts. Since I could not figure out how to be on the road transporting teens and still be in the kitchen cooking!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 am

Reminds me of recipes for cooking on the intake manifold on long car trips!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:21 am

Bill, my uncle drove a cement truck. Once a week he 'cooked' for his buddies--baked ham, in the can!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:54 am

That's actually a good idea, given that he'd be driving it anyway. As long as he didn't forget that the can was on there for a week or so.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 pm

I grew up disappointed that I never got to get a piece of one of those legendary hams. Believe it or not, canned ham was a childhood favorite. I was the only member of the family who would eat the aspic. :)
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:14 am

OK - this RCP looks great. My problem is that I've sworn off carbs this month so no potatoes for me. I have printed it out and will make it in May!