Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

If 'Ranch' is outlawed, then only outlaws will have 'Ranch'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

If 'Ranch' is outlawed, then only outlaws will have 'Ranch'

by Jenise » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Where go guns, goes Ranch Dressing. At least, according to a pizzeria in Dallas who objects to customers wanting Ranch dressing to dip their pie into. Euwww.

Per Eater.com:

Even after explaining exactly why his Dallas pizzeria Cane Rosso playfully charges $1,000 for a side of ranch dressing, restaurateur Jay Jerrier is still fighting off passionate ranch fans: according to signage posted today, the restaurant is now outright banning people from bringing in their own ranch dressing. The accompanying, tongue-in-cheek Facebook announcement states that "we've had to go to extreme measures thanks to the international exposure and to prevent ranch dressing food trucks from parking out front".

Jerrier tells Eater that the sign — like the ranch display case that started it all — is a "total joke" not meant to be taken seriously. "After the hubbub this morning, I asked my GM to scribble a hastily written sign so I could post the pic," he says via e-mail. "I'm sure someone will bring some tonight for comedy." Jerrier's ranch interview has launched a spirited debate about the use of the dressing as a pizza dipping sauce, though Jerrier noted at the time that few customers actually asked for ranch while dining at the restaurant: "They really don't. And if they do, we're never mean-spirited about it. But we don't really get that many requests for ranch." Now, ranch lovers who planned to sneak it in will have to pony up $1,000 for the real deal
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: If 'Ranch' is outlawed, then only outlaws will have 'Ranch'

by Howie Hart » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Most local pizzerias also make wings, and sell combos of both. The wings are served with blue cheese dressing and celery. I have seen people dipping their wings in the blue cheese dressing (which is intended for the celery) and I've also seen people dipping their pizza crusts in it. :x
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:29 am

Blue cheese dressing is so good you can dip a cardboard box in it and not mind.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:04 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Blue cheese dressing is so good you can dip a cardboard box in it and not mind.

I think that is the rationale for many that eat snails with garlic butter...they could be eating pencil erasers for all they care, as long as they get some nice garlicky salted butter!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:18 am

But the difference is, that pizza is actually edible on it's own, it's already a perfect food. Dipping it in thick creamy white stuff? [shudder] Inexcusable!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 am

Well, a lot of commercially made pizza crusts are nothing more than bland substrates to convey hopefully reasonable tasting toppings to your mouth, and some are deplorable aberrations - who in their right mind would voluntarily eat thick crusts that taste like cardboard, filled with melted cheese-food in the outside crust unless they were on a death binge to see how quickly they could cause their hearts to give up the contest?

But I agree that using pizza as an excuse to 'drink' salad dressing is ....strange.

I know people (as do you) that would eat gravel if it was dipped in melted chocolate, so tastes vary!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Howie Hart wrote: The wings are served with blue cheese dressing and celery. I have seen people dipping their wings in the blue cheese dressing (which is intended for the celery)

I love wings. I love blue cheese. Celery is the food of the devil.

This leaves only one option for getting at that blue cheese.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:44 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I love wings. I love blue cheese. Celery is the food of the devil.
This leaves only one option for getting at that blue cheese.
In between very spicy wings, I find the celery with blue cheese cools my mouth in a manner that cold beer can't seem to do.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: Celery is the food of the devil.

Right, Brian. :)
no avatar
User

Joe T

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Oakville, Ontario

by Joe T » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:57 am

My favourite way to have wings is to coat them in a little bit of flour, s/p, and LOTS of cayenne, dry roast them and then toss them in a chunky blue cheese dressing. The best part are the melty bits of blue cheese!
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Blue cheese dressing is so good you can dip a cardboard box in it and not mind.

I think that is the rationale for many that eat snails with garlic butter...they could be eating pencil erasers for all they care, as long as they get some nice garlicky salted butter!

Egg plant & zucchini also
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain