Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Smashed potatoes with Basil, Garlic and Olive Oil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

RCP: Smashed potatoes with Basil, Garlic and Olive Oil

by Ted Richards » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:59 pm

These are not the "splats" that have also been called "smashed potatoes", but are essentially coarsely mashed roasted potatoes. They're from a Bob Blumer recipe on the Canadian Food Network. I served them with roasted duck confit and mixed a bit of the duck fat in with the potatoes for an even better taste.

Smashed Potatoes with Basil, Garlic and Olive Oil

16 baby potatoes in their skins
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, minced
1/4 cup olive oil (or a mixture of olive oil and melted duck fat)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Roast the potatoes at 400°F (200°C) for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through and crispy on the outside.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the garlic, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper. Once they are done, add the roasted potatoes and mash with a fork or potato masher. Leave the potatoes in small chunks, rather than completely mashed. Add the duck fat, if using, and toss thoroughly so that potatoes are completely coated with the oil and herbs. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (or 2 if you're really hungry).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Smashed potatoes with Basil, Garlic and Olive Oil

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:16 pm

With the duck fat in there, I'm thinking that would be one serving.

Sounds great!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:31 am

Oh yum. A bit different, in a good way, from any other potato dish I've ever had. Almost a warm potato salad. MUST TRY SOON.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Ted, couldn't wait. Made your potatoes, which shall from here on out be referred to as Ted's Potatoes, for dinner last night. Chose rack of lamb and a 1970 Pontet Canet (we're still celebrating Bob's birthday, the fortnight ends tomorrow) to go with them. OUTSTANDING!

Some notes: six golf ball sized potatoes made the perfect amount for two (though Bob asked for seconds, and was disappointed). I cut and roasted them in half, then broke them apart by hand into the waiting bowl of olive oil/garlic/basil. Two hints to whoever else also makes these: plan your meal around serving the second the potatoes are ready. Don't let them wait and lose that delicate crisp crunch they have at the peak of roasting. And 2), though it should be pretty obvious, use a really superb, condiment-level olive oil for the full, fresh peppery olive taste. Your dish will only be as good as the olive oil you use--don't skimp!

Thank you SO much for posting! Oh, and here's the proof:

IMG_1190.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Ted said:

Roast the potatoes at 400°F (200°C) for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through and crispy on the outside.

And Jenise said:

I cut and roasted them in half

When roasting potatoes, I routinely toss them in some oil to help browning and crispness, and season. Did you guys do that, and if you did, would the duck fat be better than oil at that step?
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:36 pm

Jim Cassidy wrote:Ted said:

When roasting potatoes, I routinely toss them in some oil to help browning and crispness, and season. Did you guys do that, and if you did, would the duck fat be better than oil at that step?

The original recipe just said to roast them but yes, I did toss them in a little olive oil to roast them. Duck fat would work well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:32 pm

I didn't even notice that the recipe didn't say to toss with oil--I did/one should or the potatoes would stick to the pan and not get as crisp.