Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Guacamole de los fuegos del infierno

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:19 pm

There is an ugly story behind the made-in-Mexico production of two flavor favorites - guacamoles and limes - which are reportedly spiking in price at U.S. groceries while bringing down gangster terrorism to families in Mexico's Michoacán state, the country's primary source for U.S. exports of both fruits.

I'm not sure how to discern the ethical course of action for American consumers, either. Decline to buy limes or avocados, in hope of denying the Caballeros Templarios ("Knights Templar") gangsters a tiny share of profit? But will that approach deal additional punishment on the already suffering farmers whose only connection with the gangs is the tribute they must pay?

These aren't easy questions that came to my mind the other day as I found an almost too-soft Haas avocado and a tasty lime in the fridge and decided to make some guacamole for lunch.

But wait! Guacamole is good, but it gets boring. Why not kick it up a notch or three with a healthy dollop of chipotles en adobo? And as a symbolic, if tiny, gesture to flip off the Caballeros Templarios and offer moral support to the suffering farmers of Michoacán, let's dub the dish "guacamole de los fuegos del infierno"!

I kept the ingredients (pictured above) just about as simple as can be: One avocado, half of a fresh lime, and one chipotle en adobo, stripped of its seeds and ribs and finely minced, mixed with about a tablespoon of its adobo sauce.

Peel the avocado, remove the seed, and roughly mash the buttery green meat with a fork. Stir in the juice of the half lime and the chipotle en adobo, add a bit of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and eat it up with crispy tortilla chips or your choice of crunchy snack or crudite.