Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Split Pea Soup (Vegetarian or almost)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Split Pea Soup (Vegetarian or almost)

by Jenise » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 pm

I know I'm going to run into lots of opposition to this statement--and don't get me wrong, I do love ham--but for my taste buds, big chunks of smoky meat don't do split peas any favors. I am instead in love with the pure flavor of the peas themselves and the sophisticated velveteen texture of the peas when pureed to a satiny smoothness. This soup does exactly that. It needs only garlic and a few herbs to bring out it's best qualities. It's the ONLY way I make split pea soup. It's also one of the most heavenly matches in the world for a good glass of dry sherry.

In a large pan, combine:

1 lb split peas
1 quart full-bodied vegetable or chicken broth
1.5 quarts water
2 bay leaves
2 garlic cloves, smooshed
2 tsp herb d'Provence
Several good cranks of black pepper
Salt to taste

Bring the mix to a boil, then simmer for an hour and a half. Remove the bay leaves, drop in the boat motor (immersion blender) to smooth the soup to a fine puree. Adjust salt and pepper to taste (I usually add a finishing dose of black pepper).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov