Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Outstanding unbattered super-crisp baked chicken wings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Outstanding unbattered super-crisp baked chicken wings

by Jenise » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:51 pm

A recipe for Asian, or maybe it said Korean, chicken wings that I found on website Food 52 when looking up a reference Dale Williams provided (that cauliflower! We're having it tonight) described a technique I've never seen let alone done for/to one of my favorite meats. The Korean flavoring was actually specific to the dipping sauce reccomended--but separately, if the method for the wings alone came out exactly as described, then these would be close to the durably glassy fried wings we used to love at a pan-Asian restaurant in Huntington Beach and still crave to this day--best wings I've ever had in a restaurant. Never have even tried to duplicate it as I'm sure their method was deep-frying, and I don't deep fry. But this sounded close. So I did a batch earlier this week, and the result?

Yes. Oh god, YES!

In spite of the fact that I somewhat ignored their timing and did it my own way so that the preparation would fit into our lifestyle. I would only change their recipe to cut back on the salt, from 1.75 tsps to just 1. Here's what you do: the night before you're going to cook them, mix three egg whites, 2 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Drop in 12-18 whole wings (or wings trimmed of the flying tip, your option). Toss to coat. Lay out on a well-greased rack placed inside a sheet pan, pretty sides up. Refrigerate. Next day, remove from fridge and place in a 450 F oven. Roast 10 minutes, then turn and roast another ten minutes, and then turn to roast the final ten minutes or until golden brown.
Now they're ready to serve with a dipping sauce, or hit with a few shakes of something hot and spicy.

My next batch will get marinated all day in Tabasco sauce or maybe some Melinda's Extra Hot before going into the egg white mixture. With that refinement, we will have a near duplicate of the wings we used to love.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Outstanding unbattered super-crisp baked chicken wings

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Sounds very interesting, Jenise!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Sound yummy! Think it would work for boneless thighs as well (I can't see why not, but I've never done this sort of prep).
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:49 pm

There are at least a couple of Korean chicken places near me, and from Yelp I know that what they do is different and delicious, and something like what you are describing. Before trying to do it myself I may have to assay the restaurant version. Actually one of the places is in the food court at H Mart.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:07 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Sound yummy! Think it would work for boneless thighs as well (I can't see why not, but I've never done this sort of prep).

The reason wings work so well is that there's skin fore and aft to get crisp. A thigh wouldn't offer that particular advantage, but you do make me wonder what the naked flesh of the underside would do. Could be interesting!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:12 pm

I walked over to Kono Chicken (in H Mart) today -- I think all you can get is wings or drumsticks. Plus various pork products that look interesting.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kono-chicken-edison

http://www.yelp.com/biz/boom-boom-chicken-edison
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Okay, I'm game. Now I know what to do with those egg whites I have in the freezer. Will definitely try next week.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:27 pm

You are speaking my language. I would LOVE these. Can't wait to try. Maybe I'll bring them to our next wine group a week from tonight which is going to take on a casual twist.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59 pm

Carrie L. wrote:You are speaking my language. I would LOVE these. Can't wait to try. Maybe I'll bring them to our next wine group a week from tonight which is going to take on a casual twist.

I absolutely know you'd love these! Btw, am thinking that substituting Lawry's seasoned salt would create a crispy dupe, flavor-wise, of the early versions of take-home supermarket chicken you and I confessed to liking.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:26 am

Jenise wrote:
Carrie L. wrote:You are speaking my language. I would LOVE these. Can't wait to try. Maybe I'll bring them to our next wine group a week from tonight which is going to take on a casual twist.

I absolutely know you'd love these! Btw, am thinking that substituting Lawry's seasoned salt would create a crispy dupe, flavor-wise, of the early versions of take-home supermarket chicken you and I confessed to liking.

Lawry's is our favorite chicken seasoning. What flavors would you do if you were going to serve a pinot noir?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:07 pm

Carrie L. wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Lawry's is our favorite chicken seasoning. What flavors would you do if you were going to serve a pinot noir?

That would do it right there if you didn't want to include any (messy) dipping sauces. I'm very picky about when and under what circumstances I'll allow that and I suspect you are too.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

by Carrie L. » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Made these last night for wine group. They were a big hit. We loved the texture...dry and crispy outside, moist and flavorful inside. I can't wait to make these again. To the egg white mixture I will add fresh garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, lemon zest and sea salt. Love the method! Not sure if my oven is still right (even after a new thermostat), as the 10/10/10 minutes didn't get them quite brown enough. Finished under the broiler for a few seconds, thus the few charred spots. Thanks for sharing, Jenise!
Wings1.jpg

Wings2.jpg

Wings3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

BLKessler

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:23 pm

by BLKessler » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Souunds sooo easy to prep and make and so yummy good. ( I also have lots of egg whites in my freezer)....Bettylu Kessler
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:44 am

Geez, Carrie, did you have to go and post those photos? Those look fantastic.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 am

Carrie L. wrote:Made these last night for wine group. They were a big hit. We loved the texture...dry and crispy outside, moist and flavorful inside. I can't wait to make these again. To the egg white mixture I will add fresh garlic, fresh chopped rosemary, lemon zest and sea salt. Love the method! Not sure if my oven is still right (even after a new thermostat), as the 10/10/10 minutes didn't get them quite brown enough. Finished under the broiler for a few seconds, thus the few charred spots. Thanks for sharing, Jenise!

Carrie, the original recipe suggested slightly different cooking intervals which added up to more overall cooking time which, in the process of cooking my first batch, I found excessive at 450 F. Another ten minutes could have made them dry and tough which I'm sure you sensed, hence you went to the broiler. Have you tested your oven against a probe-thermometer? Mine's working great now. Bizarre how our thermostats went blinkers at precisely the same moment, isn't it? Like they were designed to time out....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 am

BLKessler wrote:Souunds sooo easy to prep and make and so yummy good. ( I also have lots of egg whites in my freezer)....Bettylu Kessler

Betty Lu! Good to hear from you.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Okay, so here's the lowdown on the Tabasco version: I made several changes vs. my first batch. One, I marinated the 12 wings in a whole 5 ounce bottle of Tabasco. They went in overnight, and in the morning I drained them before tossing them with the egg white mixture. But I didn't dry them first. Two, to make sure they soaked up maximum Tabasco flavor, I used the tip of a paring knife to poke a bunch of holes in the wings. I was banking on the egg white mixture to effectively seal the holes. And three, I air dried them in the outside fridge for only about ten hours vs. the 20 or so given to the first batch.

Result: wings didn't get nearly as crispy, and I needed to cook them longer to get what I did, about 7-8 minutes. As well, the egg whites didn't plug the holes as hoped as evidenced by trails of internal juices left on the skin, and probably because of both the holes AND the longer cooking the finished wings weren't nearly as moist as my first batch had been. In fact, they were a little dry. The Tabasco flavor was deliciously intense, but that's the only good that came of my messing with success.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Finally got around to trying these wings today and they were very moist and full of flavor. Nice. I added some garlic, rosemary and lemon zest to the egg white mixture. Also, just prior to baking I sprinkled a few of them with a mixture of various chili powders I had on hand. Next time I'd just add the chili to the batter.
AFAIK, our oven is pretty accurate but they really didn't crisp up using the 10/10/10 method. Like Carrie, I wound up putting them under the broiler for a few minutes. next go-around I'll do 10/10/7 and maybe 3 in the broiler.
We'll make them again and thanks for sharing the recipe.
Wings 008.JPG

Wings 009.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:11 pm

Thanks for reporting back. Winger, I'm thinking that a slightly hotter oven is called for here.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:04 am

i didn’t realise how long ago Jenise Posted this!
Anyhoo my recent with an oven baked crispy chicken prompted me to add this method here. Compare and contrast in 500 words lol.

Interestingly nibbling on these from the fridge the next day they were still crispy.

CHICKEN WINGS
* 2 Kg (4 pounds) chicken wings cut into drumettes and flats
* 1 tablespoon aluminium free baking powder (NOT baking soda)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons garlic powder
* Pinch of cracked pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
* Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminium foil and set a heat-proof wire rack inside. 

* Pat dry chicken wings liberally with paper towels, squeezing out as much moisture as you can. Transfer them to a large bowl.

* In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together, whisking well to combine, and sprinkle the mixture over the wings. Toss wings through the baking powder mixture until evenly coated. 

* Arrange on rack, leaving about 1-inch of space between each wing.

* Bake for 30 minutes; flip and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, (about 20-30 minutes longer), until golden browned and crispy.

* While wings are cooking, whisk together hot sauce, butter and sugar. Toss wings through the sauce to evenly coat.

* Serve wings immediately with blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing, and celery sticks.

NOTES
For crispier wings, follow steps 1-4. Then refrigerate wings uncovered overnight. This ensures they are thoroughly dried out.

Ref

https://cafedelites.com/crispy-buffalo- ... ngs-baked/

Inspired by Serious Eats.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:57 am

I had completely forgotten about these. I was so excited about them at the time but haven't done them again. (So much to cook, so little time!) Must rectify that.