Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Something new to love at Trader Joe's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Something new to love at Trader Joe's

by Jenise » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:30 am

Or at least, new to me. We started off on a hastily planned short camping trip last week that was aborted when I got super bad sick about three hours out. That resulted in us bringing the groceries we'd bought on the way at Trader Joe's back home again. For the first night's dinner, I had bought some meat for campground grilling but just in case rain made that untenable or we got into camp so late that starting a meal from scratch would have been unthinkable, I picked up an eggplant parmesan out of the ready-made cold case--our van has a microwave, so that would be easy. I had not bought this before as I don't buy ready-made foods--it just sounded okay-fine under the circumstances. So today I found it in the fridge and realized it had been here a week, better use up so we shared it for lunch.

I was floored by how good it was! No batter on the eggplant, for one, just lots of thin slices that were cooked well but not to the point of mush under a thin cap of cheese and surrounded in a thick, robustly flavored sauce with just a trace of background heat. It was better than the eggplant parmesan I ordered in a local Italian restaurant a few weeks ago! For anyone lacking time to cook or needing emergency stand-by provisions, this is a winner.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Something new to love at Trader Joe's

by Carrie L. » Fri May 02, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for sharing, Jenise. I love the idea of it not being battered.
Recently picked up some frozen fried rice from TJ's on the recommendation of several people who have said it's outstanding, as in better than the local Chinese Restaurant. Looking forward to trying it.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sun May 04, 2014 11:14 am

Update: I tried the fried rice last night. I was very, very good. Yes, better than the local Chinese restaurant for sure. I think next time I would just add some chopped water chestnuts to it for a little crunch, and maybe a handful of sliced green onions. I did add one scramble egg, chopped. Definitely a great thing to have on hand in the freezer for a quick dinner or side dish.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun May 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks for the update.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun May 04, 2014 7:23 pm

Slightly off topic -- but I was searching around for the toasted almonds with honey and sesame seeds. Our neighbors used to get those regularly but evidently they got them from Paul's late father who had a shop in Great Neck LI NY where he could buy them. I did some research and found out that they are at TJ's. Because the TJ stores are a long drive, I then found the TJ sesame almonds online at Amazon, for a reasonable price, and ordered them. They came quickly but I haven't tasted 'em yet.

These had come up as a great match with good Sherry in another topic here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 05, 2014 1:20 am

I *love* those almonds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 pm

We picked up most of our Cinco de Mayo ingredients at Trader Joe's today. This included their frozen chicken enchiladas (so, so) and their beef tamales (outstanding). We are going to get more of the latter on the next visit next week. We enjoyed both with our homemade enchilada sauce, and best ever Mexican rice tonight. For garnishes, we had shredded Romaine, and shredded Manchego cheese. Yum!
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 am

Jenise wrote:I *love* those almonds.

I have to not keep them around. Too easy to scarf down the whole bag at once!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Seventeen more things to love at TJ's. Mostly guilty pleasures. I haven't had any of these but I can see the attraction!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/foodbeast ... 90865.html
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri May 09, 2014 12:54 am

Doug Surplus wrote:
Jenise wrote:I *love* those almonds.

I have to not keep them around. Too easy to scarf down the whole bag at once!

Yeah, I like 'em too. Hard as a rock, but tasty as hell. Have to resist the urge to gorge.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 09, 2014 8:31 am

Frank Deis wrote:Seventeen more things to love at TJ's. Mostly guilty pleasures. I haven't had any of these but I can see the attraction!

I am shocked to see fennel bulbs in place #9 where no other fresh food is listed, but even more so because it's one of the things I go to TJ's for because they're so cheap there. I'm otherwise not in the loop when it comes to popular tastes--other than the Chuck wines, which I know of but don't buy, I haven't even noticed any of the other items mentioned! I don't buy spreads, I don't buy cookies or chocolates--I don't even 'see' them. Good thing I didn't have kids, my children would hate me.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri May 09, 2014 9:29 am

Frank Deis wrote:Seventeen more things to love at TJ's. Mostly guilty pleasures. I haven't had any of these but I can see the attraction!

Not much there that I would buy. I did try the almond butter and didn't like it - too bitter. The rosemary marcona almonds? Yes, mostly to drop a few on top of a salad. Occasionally I buy the fennel, but it's not a fave vegetable. I usually have a bag of the Mandarin Orange Chicken on hand for a quick and easy dinner for those times when I don't feel like cooking and don't want to go out. I zest it up with a good dose of Sriracha.
Doug

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri May 09, 2014 9:35 am

We love the almond butter; and think it is far superior to the only other one available to us - the one from Whole Foods. It is more like peanut butter which we can't have anymore.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat May 10, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned the honey sesame CASHEWS. I think they are tastier than the almonds, which I'm trying for the first time. I feel that the flavor contrasts are sharper with the cashews.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Sat May 10, 2014 11:31 pm

James Dietz wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned the honey sesame CASHEWS. I think they are tastier than the almonds, which I'm trying for the first time. I feel that the flavor contrasts are sharper with the cashews.

Oh, I can't even go there. I can devour plain cashews at an alarming rate, let alone the the honey cashew variation. I'd be bigger than a house!
Doug

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun May 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:
James Dietz wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned the honey sesame CASHEWS. I think they are tastier than the almonds, which I'm trying for the first time. I feel that the flavor contrasts are sharper with the cashews.

Oh, I can't even go there. I can devour plain cashews at an alarming rate, let alone the the honey cashew variation. I'd be bigger than a house!

Same here. Cashews are up there with potato chips in terms of "things I can't allow in the house".
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 am

Ditto.

My grandmother tells a story of taking me to the movies when I was wee little. She got me seated then got ready for a snack bar run, and asked what I would like. "Peanuts," I answered. Apparently there were plain and chocolate covered available, so she asked me what kind. "Cashew peanuts," I answered.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon May 12, 2014 3:52 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:Oh, I can't even go there. I can devour plain cashews at an alarming rate, let alone the the honey cashew variation. I'd be bigger than a house!

Don't know what the problem is. Bought a bag today and only ate half of it at the first sitting!
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon May 12, 2014 6:07 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:
Doug Surplus wrote:Oh, I can't even go there. I can devour plain cashews at an alarming rate, let alone the the honey cashew variation. I'd be bigger than a house!

Don't know what the problem is. Bought a bag today and only ate half of it at the first sitting!

And how soon after the first sitting, did the second one commence?
Doug

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Middleton, NH, USA

Doce de Mayo

by Carl Eppig » Mon May 12, 2014 6:29 pm

Strictly a Trader José dinner tonight. As mentioned last week it was strictly beef tamales this time. We steamed them, heated up the rice from last week in the double boiler, and warmed up the leftover enchilada sauce. Sides were shredded Manchego cheese and shredded lettuce again. We washed it down with Trader Jose' Premium Beer, Imported from Mexico. This was one of three they sell with this one coming in between the dark and the light. Excellent dinner.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon May 12, 2014 8:29 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:

I don't allow cashews in the house, the same as any other addictive substances. An ounce of prevention etc, etc, my hands are shaking, withdrawal tremors. :(
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 21, 2014 4:08 pm

Trader Joe's has the best potatoes I have ever found. They are the large, thin-skinned golden skinned ones. Never seen them anywhere else.

There is a texture to these potatoes I just love.

I dump cottage cheese, salsa, and less healthy things on them after a quick nuke and I have a fantastic lunch!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed May 28, 2014 3:28 pm

The fried rice was surprisingly good. Hard to believe that most restaurants do it so badly when the frozen version is so much easier and tastier.

The Charles Shaw wines are a lot better than you might think. If you're drinking a $6 bottle of wine, it's industrial plonk anyway, and I find the Charles Shaw often more palatable than the critter wines, for instance. The merlot (and, yeah, it's probably 24.9% rubired or whatever they can get away with) is even drinkable on its own.

I've yet to try a Trader Joe's beer that I liked (Trader Jose nor the Bavarian styles) except for the Unibroue vintage ale.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 4:38 pm

wnissen wrote:The Charles Shaw wines are a lot better than you might think. If you're drinking a $6 bottle of wine, it's industrial plonk anyway, and I find the Charles Shaw often more palatable than the critter wines, for instance. The merlot (and, yeah, it's probably 24.9% rubired or whatever they can get away with) is even drinkable on its own.

This is certainly all true, and yet it should also be noted that TJ's sells so much of this stuff nationwide that they buy it by the tank-car load - iiterally. It's bulk wine - and one batch may be very different from the next. Back at the beginning of the boom, Franzia was credibly alleged to have sent "select" samples to wine writers. :roll:
Next