Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Something new to love at Trader Joe's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: Something new to love at Trader Joe's

by wnissen » Thu May 29, 2014 1:12 pm

You know, Robin, I'm under the impression that the bulk buys were in the early days of the product, when demand was exploding. Now that things are more stable, Bronco supposedly produces most of it themselves with the mile-long vine rows and other extreme-scale vertical integration. It seems relatively consistent to me.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Something new to love at Trader Joe's

by Robin Garr » Thu May 29, 2014 4:38 pm

wnissen wrote:You know, Robin, I'm under the impression that the bulk buys were in the early days of the product, when demand was exploding. Now that things are more stable, Bronco supposedly produces most of it themselves with the mile-long vine rows and other extreme-scale vertical integration. It seems relatively consistent to me.

Walter, I can't disprove that, but it seems less intuitive to me. Until such time as there's a grape shortage, the bulk market seems to me to be the cheapest and most labor-efficient way for a product like Franzia Shaw, with a more-or-less guaranteed market, to go.
Previous