Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Quoting Dale Williams...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Quoting Dale Williams...

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:31 pm

...from a tasting note on the wine side, and for those of who you ever wondered: "it was served with a brown rice mix and roasted Brussels sprouts. I asked Marc who is Belgian if they're called Brussels sprouts in Brussels, he said yes. Another mystery solved."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Quoting Dale Williams...

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:36 pm

Thank goodness! I can finally sleep at night. :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:34 pm

I lost more than one night's sleep over this issue before. And apparently what we call Belgian waffles they call Brussels waffles. Do you want the truth re Vienna sausages? You can't handle the truth. :)

By the way, we are totally addicted to this recipe that Mark Bittman included in the NYT on an article re cast-iron pans. Really delicious.
It takes less than a 1/2 hour to get really brown, though. More like 15 minutes. But result is fantastically nutty.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Garlic
Time: About 45 minutes

1 pint brussels sprouts (about a pound)
4 to 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
5 cloves garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar.

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Trim bottom of brussels sprouts, and slice each in half top to bottom. Heat oil in cast-iron pan over medium-high heat until it shimmers; put sprouts cut side down in one layer in pan. Put in garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Cook, undisturbed, until sprouts begin to brown on bottom, and transfer to oven. Cook, shaking pan occasionally, until sprouts are quite brown and tender, about 1/2 hour.
3. Taste, and add more salt and pepper if necessary. Stir in balsamic vinegar, and serve hot or warm.

Yield: 4 servings.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:27 pm

Dale, I'm full from dinner, but that recipie has my mouth watering and I feel hungry again.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:17 am

And in Spain, there are no Spanish peanuts. Oh yes, you can buy peanuts, but they're all from Virginia. :)

Great recipe--I'll bet the kind of person who doesn't like brussels sprouts (next question, should we capitalize Brussels when it's the sprout, not the city?) would totally fall for them when cooked this way. I've got the perfect person to try it out on, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov